Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday DECLUTTERING!

Default Thursday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Common Areas- hoe out, straighten up, and clean.

School Challenge: School rooms and spaces!

Inspiring Thought: Peter did not feel very brave; indeed, he felt he was going to be sick. But that made no difference to what he had to do. - C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

For me today:
    • blog work- deadline today that I forgot Along with a lot of other things
    • work drop- R is at work for catering today (please pray for her- she really HATES this job and this her last shift for a long while. She's taking a break and hopes to find something more suitable)
    • finish cubby work
    • planner work
    • art and reading tme
    • purchase school consumables- Cover Story workbook for one and possibly All American History
    • keep the kitchen tidy
    • laundry

Whew did we have some gully washers yesterday. At least three times it poured and poured. The creeks are running high this morning. But, by the end of the today we should be able to turn of the a/c units and enjoy some open windows.

Dan took his bike this morning, but I had to drop Rebecca off around 8:30 for her shift today. She usually works afternoons into evenings, but today she works early and until 4pm. She had a shift Saturday that was longer that she put up on the swap board for someone to have. She can only handle one shift a week and even that sends her to the brink. We have some family stuff planned for Saturday, so I'm glad she's not working.

I went past her residence hall on the way home since her drop location took me to another part of campus and it's a big old Ivy League castle looking building (pictures here). She's on the 5th floor. She's going to be pretty warm up there.

In contrast, E will be in the brand new Honors College Residence Hall at Purdue. It opened in 2016. Wow- I just read the page and the building also houses the honors college dean and the staff plus academic rooms for honors college classes. E has one class early that is his Honors class and it's in that building- so he doesn't have to go far for that one.

Both are going to be pretty cool. These two kids are going to have the time of their lives! It's really hitting me this morning how hard we worked and how amazing their opportunities are.

Ok...time get going with the rest of my day.

Have a lovely day!
    Last edited by Heather W; 08-09-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good Morning!
    It's damp and foggy and drippy this morning. Currently 73*F with a dew point of 66*. So. much. moisture. But it's cooler, for the most part. Yesterday we were able to have the house open all day, and the rains were wonderful. Now if you could get some sun and dry out a bit, that would be great.

I've been baking for camping this morning.

HeatherW-- Love the dorm pictures. R's dorm looks like it has some great study spaces, and even the rooms are large for an older dorm. Will she have one of those dormer rooms at the top then? I hope you don't have to lug everything up those stairs! Honor's college dorms get all the perks, or so Erica says. When she would give Honor's tours of the campus, she was always amazed at the perks they got that no one else did. I guess their dorm at Ashland was pretty amazing. All the rest of them weren't great, and the rooms were really small for two people.

So far:
    • email management and reading
    • baked breakfast cookies
    • washed up some dishes
    • starting on blueberry muffins

For the rest of TODAY:
    • blueberry muffins
    • work on timeline binder some more... got the math notebook all squared away
    • table piles... did just a tiny bit yesterday
    • do a little more in ds11's room... I didn't do any yesterday
    • what's for supper?... I think dh has another church meeting tonight; it's that time of year
    • laundry!!

All right! I better get back to the kitchen while it's still cool!

Enjoy your day!
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Cindy- I hear there are student volunteers that run everything up and same at Purdue. A guy we work with on the plant sciences team did his undergrad at Purdue. Not all the rooms are the same in her residence hall- some are smaller and some bigger. Not sure which kind she has but wow those old common areas are beautiful. That's for sure.

The honors hall costs more as well which messed up E's expected expenses. It's all work out for the future, but it changed things a bit this semester. There are a ton of perks for being an honors student. E just told me that the dean's office is open to just stop by. He talks with the students all the time. Just an amazing path that has been laid out for him- I am grateful. I think it's just the thing to make him come fully alive again- not just any learning situation would do that I don't think. This is special and I am grateful that he knows it.

Last night after the meeting was over I was talking with him and he was talking about his last day at work and how people are sad to see him go until next summer because he is a hard worker and reliable. Multiple people told him this and he was telling me that he tries to go above and beyond (even at this job he doesn't love) because he wants to do well and to achieve that it requires all his effort. Otherwise, it would fall short of expectations. He said, he used to get by hardly working because he could. Now he realizes he CAN'T do that anymore if he wants to do well.

This is a kid who barely put in effort and did well at things- not as well as he could have done, but well enough. So, Lyme has been a hardship and I'm still prayerful he will fully recover, but it's also made him grow.
    Last edited by Heather W; 08-09-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Heather, perfect IT for today. And - you have done an amazing job. You planned ahead, set a good course, and stuck with it.

Cindy, please save me a muffin.

It's lovely here today. DH and I took his car in for service, and he brought me home so he could take my car to work. Belle got called in to work. So, a bit of a shift for today. I've been making phone calls and sending emails to reroute my day.

K and P are on the OCC team at church, and this is a work morning, so another team member is going to drive them. I had to change Elvis' groomer appointment. And since I am not available for errands this afternoon and don't have a car this morning, Belle is going to need to run errands for me when she gets home.

I'm going to shower and then get down in the basement. I wasn't able to work down there at all on Tuesday or Wednesday and won't be able to tomorrow. Boyo is the only one home with me this morning. I am alternating him between helping me and doing mowing and chicken work.

I do need to make a route for Belle to follow this afternoon, as well as decide what we are having for dinner tonight and getting it on the grocery list. P has soccer practice tonight, and Belle's friend group is meeting here, which means we're hosting for dinner.

Okay, I'm off to get started. Have a wonderful day!
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Good morning!

Heather, what a great conversation with E! It's good to see how God can use even the worst situations for our benefit!

Cindy, interesting about the dorm differences! When I went to TU I was in an old dorm and I had a HUGE room. I transferred to the Honors Dorm at OU and had the tiniest room ever. Then I moved to a single upper class room that was old, but bigger. I'm sure by the time ds is ready for college I will be stunned by the differences!

I've been up and busy this morning!
    *sent a text about a Spanish class for ds--He's in! This class has been in the works for a few months and details have been scarce, so when she officially announced I jumped on it with an email last night at 11:00 and a text this morning at 8:00
    *washed and dried our sheets--will get them back on shortly
    *cleaned our bathroom
    *got tickets for art exhibit tomorrow
    *unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher
    *got chicken out to thaw
    *started a regular load of laundry

We'll be gone much of tomorrow so I'm doing some of my regular Friday chores today--which is probably what I'm going to need to do a lot this semester if we do Friday road trips for OK history.

The rest:
    *consignment sale work--I need to start entering tags
    *planning?
    *mail bills
    *swim team
    *volunteer at cat shelter
    *volunteer at food pantry
    *grocery pick up
    *dd to gymnastics
    *mow??--It needs to be done, but we'll see how much energy I have after gymnastics!

Have a great day today, friends!

So far:
    • did a work drop
    • dried off the POH table- and moved chairs to dry (pounding rain got to my porch)
    • started work on a blog post- headline work takes time along with starting the post copy
    • took some blog pictures
    • got I16 set with his next Algebra topic- related to the post and why not!
    • chatted with my mom and a friend- on messenger
    • group work- that time of year

I've been letting my camera get some more juice and then I'll get the last of my blog post pictures.

After that, we'll play Munchkin!

Hello ladies...

Just "popping on" for a minute. Not much going on around here at the moment, as my husband and daughter are at the neighbor's farm to check on their cow. My daughter has been milking two cows all week for them, and this morning one was down sick, so they called in a vet. Recovery is likely, but this is the cow with calf so has made things a little complicated. I look forward to hearing what they found out. Fortunately, the owner (who also works with my husband) was reachable by phone, even though they are canoeing in Minnesota!

I'm just generally working on getting organized, getting some school going consistently, and getting a (homemade) planner finished for myself (which helps with all of that -- ha!) It's a never-ending battle for me for some reason.... not sure why.

Heather: Love the dorm pictures! Rebecca's is a classic (that's the style of most of our buildings on our local campus), but the advantages Ethan has are great also! Doesn't seem that long ago that they were little and doing nature walks with you, fascinated by falconry, etc. I can still see the pictures in my mind!

I need to clean two cottages on site today and tomorrow, and generally get my house in order. Our activities have slowed down greatly and I've cancelled all music lessons for August! Canning peaches is on our list for tomorrow, plus a game night with teens for my daughter, at a friend's house.

Hope all is going well for all of you!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

So far:

Still haven't been to the basement.
    Did get Elvis to the groomer.
    Did get a little doTERRA work done.
    Did get Belle off on errands (she got home from work).
    Did get P and K to the church.
    Did get Boyo on task.

Now I'm off to the basement. For real.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Good Afternoon Ladies,

We got home last night around 10pm and I am so tired!
    I didn't sleep very well Tuesday night at the hotel. Dan and I shared a king-sized bed with Logan. He was nice and snuggly in the beginning, but he is a wild sleeper and was twisting all over in the night.
    Busch Gardens yesterday went well, despite the heat! There weren't very many people there so the lines were really short, which was great. We were able to get in several rides before the heat got really bad around 2pm. Then, we had a late lunch in a/c, rode a few more rides, then hung out in that pub and watched the Irish Dancing show. The show is only about 30 minutes, but it is really fantastic with Irish dancing, tap dancing, singing, and live music.

so far today:
    Ash had an orthodontist appointment at 9am, just a check up. We go again in 3 months.
    Then we went to church for "Crochet Club." My friend is hosting this and has wanted me to come, this was the first time we made it and it will also be the last.
    Then we stopped at Costco for food to take a friend a meal tomorrow.
    home for lunch
    unpacked some

up next:
    finish unpacking
    some reading
    more cleaning

this evening:
    Ash has dance
    I have a "Mother Culture" meeting
    Dan has "walking wise" in the garage

I think I am helping a friend with childcare tomorrow.
    I really don't like watching other people's kids. I like kids, but I don't like being responsible for them.
    But this mom really needs some help, so....
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Robin - I hope the basement work is going well!

Shay - Happy Belated birthday to Ben!

Jen - Congrats to Jack!

HW - I hope your day is going well and is peaceful.

Shelly - I hope the cleaning goes well. Peaches sound so yummy!

Cindy - blueberry muffins!

Michele & Paige - I hope you both are having a great day!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.