Thread: Science Pondering

Default Science Pondering

I'm kind of in a quandary and my head is starting to spin. I have a high school Senior who has taken 3 lab sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). She had a very difficult year last year (GRRR...Calculus and Physics was NOT a good combination for her). Technically, she doesn't need another lab science. However...I don't really know what she should do next and neither does she. I've offered options of Oceanography, Forensics, Astronomy, Meteorology, AP Bio, ...She's somewhat open to AP Bio but last year her sister used an Online provider and were NOT happy with the class (student basically had to research and teach herself the material). Does anyone have any insight, suggestions? I'd love to piece together two semester classes if I could find something that she would enjoy. Last year was a very long year for her...Thanks in advance friends. It's hard to believe that I started out on these Boards when my oldest was a preschooler (she's in grad school now) and my baby is getting ready to start 9th grade.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Michele- did your dd do earth science? NY requires it last I checked. You could do two semesters of a focus on earth science. The topic is low key and normally a freshman (or 8th grade) course. If she has, then you could do environmental science, oceanography, marine biology, etc. Earth Science would be a survey of all those things you mentioned (other than forensics)- space science, oceanography, geology, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

she could also do an issues based course using current events and ethics pertaining to current research. It depends on what she is interested in!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

In AL (and if you choose to use Apologia), what was "earth science" is now Physical Science. It's an overview of many topics.

I've thought about putting together (or HOPING I can find ) a Creation Science class for my dd2. She's not interested in Physics, and we don't have a current teacher for it at our coop, so we'll do something different. If she doesn't do that, I'll probably let her go ahead and get some college science credit and send her to AL for Geology 101 and 102 and get dual enrollment for it (that's a good option for a high school class, I've heard).
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Heather, we've never done Earth Science. Usually it's Biology, Chemistry, Physics and AP Bio . My youngest just isn't ready for an intense Bio class (I didn't want to water it down) so she is doing Earth Science/Geology this year. My Senior daughter ended up choosing OM Environmental Science. I think that WE will benefit from a set schedule and I just need her to have a less antagonistic, more fruitful year. Something about Calculus/Physics overwhelmed her , she got frustrated and it was a slow progression into a not fabulous year. She did really well in her other classes but was VERY VERY VERY resistant to Calculus /Physics. It was very unpleasant for everyone in the family! My paperwork is FINALLY COMPLETE! I'm turning it in today. I've never had such a difficult time planning and I only have 3 students left! Perhaps that is why I'm having a difficult time planning...only three students left. Four more years...Thanks for the feedback friends. I really appreciate it.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning