Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK High School friends...

Default OK High School friends...

Hey! Good afternoon. Let's chat about...planning. Specifically, what kind of system do you use to keep your high school student accountable?
    I may have mentioned that we had a very difficult year last year. That has led me to really analyze every aspect of schooling for my remaining three students (all in high school this year). I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and..kind of missing the support we had when our kids were young and Rowing...Hoping that everyone is doing well.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Michele, mine is super-simple, so I’m not sure it will help you, but.... I keep a planbook in the back of my bullet journal. I plan a week ahead and Abby checks off assignments as she does them. I try to look at it a couple of times during the week to see how she is progressing and show her what I need to be priorities to finish the week. That’s it. She takes no outside classes so we don’t have other assignments thrown in the mix. I grade papers about once a week and keep up with grades in my planbook.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Joy, that is EXACTLY how simple I'd like it to be!!! I have only 3 students and the Senior and Junior are sharing Literature, Poetry, History, and Fine Arts. I have a very strong desire to spend our remaining homeschooling years (four) enjoying the ride (and my daughters) and not spending so much time doing paperwork. Last year was drudgery much of the time. Last year's Senior was taking 6 AP Courses and it was PAINFUL. It felt like we were doing school from early in the morning until late at night. This year all three girls are doing literature based programs and I'm really excited.

That sounds much calmer, Michele! Hope it’s a great year!
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Joy, I aspire to have my planning be as super simple as yours! I am almost getting there, I think! I have a planbook that I created on the computer (something I enjoy doing) but I'm crawling as far as getting plans done a week ahead.

When do you find/make time to do that, and about how long does it take you? Of course, we all have schools that look different from one another, but I enjoy gleaning what I can from FIAR friends!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

I do mine around the end of the week after I see what we’re going to get done/skip. Takes probably 30 minutes, including grading papers from the week. I only have one student, though, and we have algebra, forensics (online so nothing to really plan or grade), Lightning Lit (we just do the next thing in the book so I just look over it to see what’s coming up), Notgrass government (I have to keep up with where we are and when the next test will be and grade those), computer (she has a project and it’s already planned out), Marine biology (I made a plan for the whole year, so she goes to the next thing and I grade it), family and consumer science (I’m loose with this so I do have to think about it every week) and Bible (we do it together but I’m not giving credit it for it this year). So, see a lot of things we do are just do-the-next-thing and doesn’t really require planning. I know myself well enough to know I need to spend a lot of time in the summer planning and thinking about each subject because I have monkey-wrenches when I’m suddenly asked to keep grandkids or I need to help with some project at church or whatever. I want the school year to be student-led and not depend on me so much, although it still does somewhat with math and lit. Abby has trouble with math so I have to be there for most lessons and I need to read the lit, too, and discuss it with her.

Michelle -- wanted to let you know that I've just seen this, and I'll come back. I'm running around today so no time to stop at the moment.

However, one quick thing to say is that I STILL use the weekly "check off" sheet that I used in elementary school -- I just change subjects/topics for each grade. They check off what they've done, write down math lesson for the day, etc.
    Typically, if they have a "year long" class, we'll note at the beginning of the year a basic schedule of when they should have each chapter finished.
    Both of my girls are great at looking at what all they must accomplish each week and then laying out a weekly schedule for themselves of exactly what they're going to accomplish each day.

Does that help? Want to "see" anything?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Paige, I think that this DOES help. I"m just not sure what it looks like. Of my three remaining girls, one is super independent and responsible (Miss '03), one who CAN be highly organized and motivated but gets lazy if she isn't being monitored (Miss '02) and one who will get away with doing as little work as she needs to for as long as she can (Miss '01). Of my five daughters, she IS the most difficult. Big sigh..I want us to conclude our schooling with joyful memories and not.."static." WHY did the easiest two graduate first? LOL.

Michelle, if you pm me your email, I’ll email you some things I use....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I use a spiral notebook to make a daily sheet for my teens. As they get to the second half of high school, I try to have them transition to a student planner that they keep themselves.

This year I'm teaching 8th and 11th grades. My 11th grader is not all the way there yet AND we are transitioning to a new set of extracurriculars. Because he has Lyme (as his older brother did), he is not taking on anything new right now. Which leaves his calendar empty. No need to make a big deal about keeping his own planner when his schedule is light.

I bought just a notebook sized Mead planner at Target for my older two and they used it to keep track of both life and school assignments.

This year I gave my boys the option of doing email, the spiral notebook, or the whiteboard and they chose the notebook method. Pretty straightforward. With a notebook, you can also use that to communicate back and forth on what they need help with, etc. You can write a response to questions, etc there too.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).