Thread: Electricity?

Default Electricity?

Boyo is very interested in electricity. He thinks he might like to be an electrician.

i am looking for a curriculum that would teach him what electricity is, how it works, the history of our using it (eg Ben Franklin, discoveries and inventors), and gives him some hands-on stuff to do.

Is there anything like that out there that you know of?
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

https://topscience.org/products/32-e...ity-grades-3-8

We’ve used TOPS a lot and love it! The supplies are usually very easy to find, too!
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Thank you, Joy. This looks very fun.

I'm hoping to find either a whole year curriculum, or even just a whole semester. If he works on this every day, how long do you think it will take him?
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.

I usually can do two books a year.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Nicholas has used this and loved it! He met them at our homeschool convention and convinced me to buy the Part 1 and Part 2 set as a convention special. Anyway, he started working on it right away and worked all summer on them. I think he finished both in less than a year. I'm not sure about how much history there is, but it is very hands on!

https://www.appliedinspirations.com/

There are smaller kits and actual curriculum. We've done the HexBug kit and then just went for the full curriculum. It's 1.5 high school credits with that 1/2 credit being a lab credit. https://www.appliedinspirations.com/...ses-curriculum

Great customer service and a pretty quick response time! Not cheap, but we found it worth the price.

And I see Boyo is 12, so he might not be ready quite yet, but it does say a scienc-y middle schooler can do it. Or keep it in mind in another year or two.
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(18), Rebekah(16), Julianne(11), Jonathan(8)and Joshua(4)

Life of Fred Physics is a good one for learning the ins and outs of circuits, etc.

Snap Circuits- do you have any of those?
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

We do have them. He loves them!

None of this is a curriculum, but my boys all love snap circuits, electronic components, etc. They are all younger that Boyo, so he might find a couple of these a bit young, but I'll still include them just in case you or anyone else is interested.

One thing that my middle child loves and has learned a lot from (in conjunction with the next 2 resources below) is just taking old electronics apart. He then uses a 9 volt battery that has lost a lot of its charge to make some of them, like the LEDs, work. He has taken apart old VCRs, printers, kitchen appliances, an old laptop, tablet, etc.

Adafruit does a great series of videos on electronic components. They are (slowly) working their way through the alphabet and have gotten as far as N, and have covered things like B is for Battery, C is for capacitor, N is for noise - and they go into pretty good detail for kids.

They have also put out a free printable colouring book that includes components, ideas, and some history.

My oldest son has this book, and has bought a breadboard and various components - sort of the next step after snap circuits.

All of that is more about electronics than electricity. If Boyo likes snap circuits, maybe he's into that too? The only resource I have to share about electricity is a picture book - but it does a great job of showing how electricity is generated and how it gets to our house and is used by us.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd11, ds9 1/2, ds8 and ds6 1/2.