Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday DECLUTTERING!

Default Friday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Tough spot week! Choose an area that you normally avoid and work in it! Tell us what you accomplish!

School Challenge: School flat surfaces and tidy up in general from this week of school.

Inspiring Thought:
    Stories are agents of formation...We grow and form great character in children mostly by putting them in the presence of excellent characters. - Caught up in a Story

For me today:
    • meeting time
    • school time
    • art lessons- we'll see if the boys are up to it
    • call eye doctor- been two weeks since Isaac's glasses were ordered
    • organize my writing desk
    • blog work- so much on the docket and no real work flow in place yet
    • two more open storage areas- in my studio space. This is the last of the units under my counter surface. I'm pleased with the process so far. Excited to reorganize this space for what I use most now.
    • play a game- haven't done it yet, but Isaac requested a game of Memoir 44. He and Dan have been watching Band of Brothers together.
    • laundry
    • blog planner- just need to assemble it now

After choir last night we picked up R and headed home. E had requested a video chat and FB was not working well. We ended up using Google hangout on our phones. R was putting together a project due for sewing lab today. It's a book of seams. She knew them all but one and that new one is her new favorite. It's a type of hem stitch. She said people were pulling all nighters in the studio for this project. I'd hate to see them when it gets hard. Her next project is a drafted shirt. She's looking forward to it!

Fun to see how she's getting around town. She and her roommate went to the mall the other day and she picked up art supplies. She has this fantastic app that she can just plug in where she is going and it will tell her which bus to catch and where. And it follows the bus real time and tells you based on where you are when to start walking to the stop. Poor Dan just knows how to read a bus schedule. Anyway, it makes her independent which is awesome. That's how she got to the anniversary celebration of her upscale sewing shop and landed a new teaching gig in the process. R is this lady's serging expert. She knows the machines well.

In other great news, E has connected with Cru on campus at Purdue! We've been waiting and he'd gotten their flyer, but yesterday he met with some of the leaders and it turns out he's been in his honor's seminar with one guy. He says he might be on their retreat! Woot!

R is leaving on a retreat today with Christian Union. She has been doing activities with them and Cru, but so much prefers Christian Union. We hadn't heard of them before coming to this town and it turns out they are a ministry specifically to reach out to future leaders on Ivy League campuses (plus one other prominent school). Who knew! But, she is enjoying them a lot. I think she will dabble in Cru because she enjoys some of their smaller venue events and the director goes to our church.

Ok...that's my college kid update for the moment. I have some other thoughts on this I'll share later. This is getting long!

Have a fun-filled Friday!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good Morning Ladies,

So far Florence is a non-event here. It hasn't even started raining yet and all the local schools are cancelled for today!

HW - That is so great that both R and E have gotten plugged into campus ministries. Being involved in a campus ministry totally molded and shaped my college experience in a really great way!
    Kudos to R for being ahead of the curve in sewing class!
    Good job re-organizing your desk space too - that has got to feel good!

so far:
    Bible
    breakfast
    messaged with elder re: women's ministry. I am a bit behind on some things with this, but will be talking to him over the phone this afternoon.

up next:
    school!!
    laundry
    figure out plans for tomorrow

Have a great day ladies!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

WAY TO GO JACK & ALICE

Heather -- love hearing about your college kids and their experiences. Sounds like things are going great!

Last night sitting in my chair my eyes were so heavy. As I was getting up from my chair I thought of several things I needed to do before bed Got them done fairly quickly but then was awake. So stayed up longer.
    I did sleep better last night than any night this week but when I woke early I was still so tired. So instead of getting up I laid there, thinking I wouldn't go back to sleep, just get up closer to time my alarm was set for. Nope I went back to sleep and woke with the alarm.

Last night I had 6 hummers for sure and maybe 7. They were so funny to watch, chattering and chasing each other. I am on the porch now and 3 are back. Ds1 has been laughing at them too.

I guess I need to get busy, ok not really busy, just gathering a few things (drinks, lunch, stuff to take to others). Today is outdoor classroom day (at the lake). Ds2 is cleaning out the car. It really didn't need it but we are giving T's mom & sister a ride today so wanted to make sure.

Y'all have a GREAT day!!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

Good morning!

Heather, that app sounds awesome! I bet more people would be willing to use public transportation if they had something like that--I know I would!

Angela, I hope Florence stays a non-event for you!

Michelle, enjoy outdoor classroom day!

After a super late night (it was about midnight when we all got to bed) we're up and moving. Laundry has been done and the kids are eating breakfast now.

Today's plans:
    *park--dd's friend will be here soon to come with us
    *skating
    *Walmart
    *library
    *school
    *our bathroom
    *our sheets
    *ds to homeschool game night?--he's been asked by a friend, but we'll see how up to it he is this evening

We have a brand new park in town and we're going for the first time today. The kids are excited! I don't know how much of it we'll be able to see today, but I'm sure we'll be going back!

Have a great day today, friends!

Good morning!

Feeling much better here. I've slept well all week (about 8 hrs/night with about 6 hrs. of uninterrupted sleep each night), I should be feeling great!

Re. math credit - thanks Heather, Paige, Michelle, and Angela (others??) for your input. Funny how some of the advice was completely opposite! Perhaps I should also ask someone in Idaho! The only reason that she's in algebra already is that she couldn't get enough math in K - she did K and 1st that year. We've only done one per year since then, adding in LOF in 4th maybe? We got through the elementary books fast. It's always come pretty easy to her - she fits in the Asian math stereotype easily.

Today is the 2nd day of co-op. I'll actually teach a journaling style today and the kids will work on journaling about 2 photos. In my mind it will go smoothly - enough time, they understand the style for today, etc. We'll see how it actually goes!

For today:
    • Co-op 9-12:30
    • Help with yard sale set up (fundraiser for youth group at church)
    • BSF prep
    • Laundry - never did this earlier in the week! I'm running out of some clothes!
    • Tidy downstairs
    • Watch an episode or 2 of This is Us - I've already watched more than half of season 1 - I like it!

Love any help/advice on this:

Dd will be 13 in 1 month. She is crazy emotional some days. She's a perfectionist. So when something is slightly off/wrong/doesn't go like she pictured, she feels like everything is terrible. The past few days she's cried about everything being wrong. She knows that isn't true. We've been praying more together. I wonder if I'm having a hard time relating because I didn't have sisters - just 4 brothers. I would get sad/upset/etc., but then I'd get over it and move on. She dwells in the sadness. Like she is sitting in the muck/mire of sadness. I think I'm a 'fixer' so not knowing how to help her is hard! So - any advice you might have would be great!

Heather - love hearing how both R + E are excelling at college!

Angela - glad Florence hasn't been bad there - maybe it will miss you completely!

Michelle - so fun about all the humming birds!

Jen - love how the playground structure looks like a bird! Also - your kids are up early for being up so late - mine would sleep until after 9 at least!

Leaving for co-op in 90 minutes. Have a great day!

Good Morning!
    We have sunny skies again!
    The fair was good yesterday. It was overcast, pleasant, but humid. Then the sun came out and it got hot. 84*F and humid. It was good though because we were close to heading out at that point. A good day.
    Then we had the homeschool band "open house". OK. Pet peeve here. People... be concise with your words, especially if you want others to show up on time. The band director called this event an "open house from 3:00-4:30pm to find out about the program, ask questions, and try out instruments." We got there around 3:20pm. They were having a sit-down meeting when we walked in. No one came in after us. Apparently "open house" meant "meeting at 3:00 pm." Turned out fine, but really? Call it a meeting if you are having a meeting at a certain time. He seemed a little miffed when we walked in, but ummm... open house! Doesn't that mean come anytime between these hours?

So far I've had a lazy morning. Not good. I wanted to get some stuff done and then poof! What have I been doing?? I don't even know other than reading, and I've been up for 3+ hours. Oy.

I'm still trying to figure out my day. We need to head to the music store, and that's 30 minutes away. The band director owns the music store and didn't suggest any local stores. He said you could go to any store, but didn't give suggestions of ones he liked. So yeah. Kind of conflict of interest there, but whatever. One local music/band store we don't like. They are snooty and condescending, and overpriced. Another one may be an option, but that's it I think. We'll probably just head up to his store and check him out some more. This is a different director from when the girls were in the band, and it seems like he just hasn't been able to grow the program. He did say there is a large group of beginners this year. The largest he has had. So that's good.

I gotta get going!

Enjoy!
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Cindy- That's definitely what open house says to me. Sorry that you were mislead! Also, yes...the music store thing is a conflict of interest. Weird! But, these oddities could be a contributor to the lack of growth in the program.

Joelle- The nice thing about emotional issues in girls is that they are very predictable. Boys, on the other hand, are all over the place with it so darn random and outbursts that are just hilarious. Then it blows over. Girls linger a bit, but usually the clouds clear.

As for math, doing algebra in 7th grade is not terribly uncommon if the student is proficient at math and just keeps motoring along. I would not focus on the grade the credit is earned just that credits were earned in middle school- that's really the bottom line. They are really looking at the credits starting in high school and if she begins ninth grade with accelerated math, then the credits earned in middle school will make sense. It will just fit the bigger picture- no worries. It would be different if you said she earned all these math credits in middle school and only did math in 9th grade. With a kid excelling in math like that, this is not an issue. It's only a spring board to Calculus at an early age. And that's going to show itself in great test scores on the ACT and/or SAT which is going to further make sense. It will all come out in the wash.

AR- Yes, we've tried to impress upon our kids how important college ministry groups are for finding friends- the kind of friends you want to hang around. Being around folks with a drastically different world view from you is exhausting. We know this from experience. It doesn't mean things are perfect, but it is a good starting place.

Jen- Have fun at the park!

Michelle- Enjoy your outdoor school time. Do the kids just hang out or is there a central activity. You've been doing these a long time!

So far:
    • morning check in at my laptop
    • scheduled some posts on FB
    • worked on my planner- my printer is not responding again. Everything I do is a problem. It's so hard to get through simple tasks. Does this happen to anyone else?
    • meeting time- getting back into our current Swallows and amazons read aloud.
    • called the eye dr- but I didn't want to leave a message. They called about ten minutes later and Isaac's glasses are in! We're leaving soon to get them.

Now I'm warming up leftover pizza for lunch and we'll head out to the eye dr. Wish my new glasses were in too! But, I'll probably have to wait another week.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Another Update:
    • finished up lunch
    • eye doctor- to pick up Isaac's glasses and get them adjusted. Took care of insurance at the same time I paid for both pairs (mine and his)
    • craft store- took my masking pen in and sure enough it was dry and in my favor another one on the shelf was dry. She gave me the only good one! I'm so happy. That was a $20 pen that I probably used a 40-50% off coupon on so it was still $10 that was wasted at the time (back during the winter)
    • target- for a few more shirts on sale and something I forgot yesterday that we needed
    • got the picture of Isaac in his glasses trying them out- he's not so sure about them yet
    • worked on my blog post- did the images
    • cleaned the last two open sets of shelving under the counter surface in my studio space- got rid of some things and found more memorabilia for the box
    • put the box in the basement
    • thought about what to do next in there- I think it will be the counter surface
    • got some cobwebs in the office- while I was at it
    • had the trash gathered
    • got the trash out
    • made and adjustment to my microscope sheet- reloaded it onto my blog
    • started the dishwasher
    • got dinner going- a whole chicken in the IP

Tonight I hope to finish that post and publish it and work on other blog items. If I'm lucky, Dan will hang those printer's drawers!

Heather, what excitement for your olders!

AR, I hope Florence is a non-event for everyone. I haven't been on the news today so I'm not aware.

Michelle, I love to hear about your HBs.

Joelle, I'm a fixer too, and not terribly patient with emoting. However, one thing I have told my girls is that they are experiencing some things for the first time and those will feel big because (a) they're new things and (b) hormones. Things often aren't as big as they feel, and your feelings will lie to you, so rely on your thinkings and not your feelings.

Jen, the park sounds fun!

Cindy, I agree - an open house means 'come and go.'

I've gotten a lot done today, just nothing I planned on. I did do school with the dc, but instead of starting at 9, it was almost 1. Long story short, I ended up with the opportunity to keep some interesting stuff out of the dumpster by either selling it or donating it (not my stuff, not my money). I like rehoming things to people who are excited to have them. I brought some of the stuff home to sell, and will get to that asap.

We finished the floor last night. I love it. I'm excited to work on the columns, but sorry to not be working with my girl like that. It was so fun!

DH and I are going out for nachos and shakes after P's soccer practice tonight. Looking forward to that.

Y'all, it's 93 hot degrees here. Pretty over that, just so ya know.

Have a great afternoon!
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Good afternoon! Or evening, really!

Joelle, I hope co-op is going well!

Cindy, what instrument is Jesse wanting to play. I agree with you on the open house!

Heather, I seem to attract tech problems. I hope they clear up for you!

Robin, your flooring looks great! Way to go!

*went to the park
    *went to lunch with friends
    *skating (made it to the last half)
    *Walmart
    *cleaned our bathroom--including mopping
    *got dinner going

The park is amazing. It's almost 100 acres and is kind of like a museum of playgrounds....which doesn't really make much sense maybe, but it made me think of Crystal Bridges. Everything is top of the line. They have a lodge where you can cool off and get food and there's a nice restaurant, too. It will be nice to explore more when it cools down. It was about 95 today, and felt warmer.

Ds is getting ready to head to the game night. Dh isn't home yet so I haven't put the dinner in the oven. Not sure what we'll do tonight...dh and dd may have a movie night. I have lots of chores to pick from and I'll listen to my book if I'm doing that!