Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome home to all the FIAR Homecoming mamas!

Iím here!!! Wow...itís been such a long time. Feels nice to be ďhomeĒ.

ETA: after posting I saw my old signature. My ds is now 14 and a freshman in high school. Dd is 11 and in 6th grade. Oh my...how quickly time flies!!!
    Melanie
    Proud mama to 7 year old DS and 3 year old DD.

FOLLOW - My word for 2011. Hope and Trust - My words for 2010.

I miss you guys.

FB is fun for pictures and some updates. I never really "talk" to anyone on FB.
    Wife to Joe '92. Nathaniel 20, Noah 18, Alise 16, Rebekah 12, Mary Alice, 6 & seven angel babies
    Using FIAR since 2001

This is fun! Alice - I agree completely on the not talking on FB. This is the best spot. Would love to bring back the community from years past again. . Much has changed for our family and we are in some hard years. Have been for while. Want to enjoy these years but also am weary. Would love to talk more with all of y’all - both old and new friends!!!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (25) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (19), Isaiah (17), Daniel (14), and Eliana Joy (11).

I cannot TELL YOU how happy this thread makes me! I would love to see 100 more "old timers" return just for the fellowship and encouragement. The life connections go so far beyond homeschool curriculum. I'm always fascinated on FB to see the same, much-loved names/faces pop up on one another's threads. Often, one of you will post and there will be 10 or 20 likes and 3/4 or more of them are from old "rowers" from back in the day. I know that. You know that. But no one else knows why people from all over the country seem to be as friendly as family. I LOVE that FIAR has built a community that transcends time.

A quick non-Facebook update. Jane and are 68 now. When we began homeschooling we were 31. LOL! Our girls are now 43 and soon-to-be 38 and our 7 grandchildren range from "just-turned-two" to "soon-to-be-19". We have seven grands in all... and all are homeschooled using FIAR up thru at least 6th grade. LOL!

Jane is working on some new product and next year will mark the 25th anniversary of FIAR publication in 1994. We've got a few surprises up our sleeve to celebrate the occasion with some new and updated products.

If you want to connect face-to-face, Jane and I will be at several homeschool conventions next year including the MPE convention here in Kansas City April 4-5.

I'll also be speaking (and Jane will be with me) at at least six Teach Them Diligently Conferences as follows...

Rogers, AR- March 21st-23rd
    Nashville, TN- March 28-30thWaco, TX- April 11th-13th
    Gwinnett, GA- April 25th-27th
    Mobile, AL- May 9-11th
    Myrtle Beach, FL May 16-18th
    Denver, CO May 23rd-25th
    Columbus, OH- May 30th-June 1st

I will probably only be at 6 of those 8 TTD events so don't race out and buy airline tickets! LOL! (As if you would) We're still sorting out the schedule. This will be "one last push" as I near age 70 to get out and try to pass on the FIAR legacy to the next generation as we update the 25th anniversary of FIAR. I've only been speaking at one or two events for the past few years, but 2019 is a special year and if the Lord gives me strength we'll be back out on the road four days every week for nearly three months. Prayers are appreciated as life on the road isn't nearly as easy at age 68 as it was at age 48!

Finally, there's this... which I have NOT shared publicly on FB, although our FIAR staff and a handful of very close friends know about it. I have prostate cancer. I'll be at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for the next 7 weeks to receive Proton Beam Therapy. It appears to be contained and treatable and Jane and I are not freaking out, although prayers for peace, joy, financial provision, freedom from side effects, and of course a complete cure would be greatly appreciated.

That's NOT the kind of thing you just share with anyone... but y'all are family.

Okay... NOW tell me the updates on ALL of your lives, please. I can't wait to hear all about YOU and YOURS!

With much joy,

Steve

Publisher
    Five in a Row

"Here's the gospel: you're more sinful than you ever dared believe; you're more loved than you ever dared hope." Tim Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Carol S View Post
    I still check in here all the time, whether I post or not, and there are many times that I'd really rather get the thoughts and opinions of my old friends here than to seek those of the general Facebook population!
    Same here.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

First, I will be praying for you Steve, cancer just stinks sending! I no longer live in FL. We moved to NC about 9 years ago. and have one in college and the other in 11th. I really miss the boards from the Christmas ornaments to just chatting with someone when I felt lonely or needed advice. Love to see everyone back ❤
    Married to my dear husband Shawn for 17 years and mom to DD Erin-17 and DD Morgan-13.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    AHHH!! I can't believe we're all here again! I don't even remember how to post on message boards anymore. I keep trying to hit the thumbs up, lol!

And I can't believe the decluttering posts are still going!! Heavens to Betsy ladies, y'all's houses must be spotless by now after all these years, lol! Maybe I should have stuck around for those.
    You won't believe this Christy, but I thought of you the other day and miss seeing you here. Hope that all is well. You may not remember me and that's perfectly fine.

Steve, I am so very sorry to hear that. Praying.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice R View Post
    I miss you guys.
    FB is fun for pictures and some updates. I never really "talk" to anyone on FB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Nelsen View Post
    This is fun! Alice - I agree completely on the not talking on FB. This is the best spot. Would love to bring back the community from years past again. . Much has changed for our family and we are in some hard years. Have been for while. Want to enjoy these years but also am weary. Would love to talk more with all of y’all - both old and new friends!!!
    Agree with you both. There's more depth, closeness, and friendship here. I do miss everyone. One of my biggest regrets, huge regret, is that a long time ago, I unfriended many. I don't understand why. It was nothing personal. I was stupid and thought that I had too many friends. I felt overwhelmed. I wish I remembered who they all were. Many were FIAR moms here. Others, were not. It was rude and inconsiderate of me.
    But back to FB and these boards. They both serve different purposes, but this is far sweeter and closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    AHHH!! I can't believe we're all here again! I don't even remember how to post on message boards anymore. I keep trying to hit the thumbs up, lol!

And I can't believe the decluttering posts are still going!! Heavens to Betsy ladies, y'all's houses must be spotless by now after all these years, lol! Maybe I should have stuck around for those.
    Admittedly, it's been an embarrassing amount of time that I've been starting those. Truly.

but, I'm loyal and habitual so there you have it.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

So excited to see this thread. I keep up with quite a few of you on FB, but yes - nothing like coming home. I literally have chills reading these posts. MUCH love and prayers for you Steve as you walk this road! Hugs to all of my sisters and looking forward to catching up!

And for a quick update - my 3 first rowers have moved on. Oldest graduated high school, 16 year old has finished formal education and is working full time, and 14 year old is now in public school (ACK!). God blessed us with a second set of kiddos, and now I am having deja vu as I row with my 3, 5 and 7 year old.

P.S. Oh and I update my signature line - we also have a bonus one living with us - I seem to collect children the way some people collect pets.
    Last edited by Sarah in FL; 09-16-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Wife to Michael
    Mom to Logan (18), Secret (18), Spencer (16), Ella Elizabeth (14), Elise (7), Abbie (5), and Clara (3).