Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 40 (September 30th- - October 5th)

KATHLEEN -- would the Gentlemen in Moscow be appropriate for a teen? My dd loves anything Russia and is always in need of a good book ….

Meanwhile, I ordered Dark Enough to See the Stars in a Jamestown Sky after Rebe spoke of it last week. It looked intriguing. It came in yesterday, and I spent the evening reading all the historical notes at the end (before I read the book ). Utterly fascinating. I'm sure it's going to be sad -- almost everyone dies, as they did in real life. But, I love historical books, so I'm guessing I'm going to enjoy it And, I'm betting that dh and the girls will want to read it, too
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

My apologies for not replying to everyone's posts. I'm only beginning to catch up on this thread today and am adding some of your titles to my wish list.

Paige, I'm not Kathleen, obviously. I loved "A Gentleman in Moscow". If I remember correctly, there was nothing inappropriate and a teen would be able to read it. Hopefully others can comment also. In case you're interested, here is my review.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Paige, the main character does sleep with someone who he is not married to. I don’t remember that it describes it in detail, but there’s a bit of description of what’s happening, as I remember. Actually, Kathleen should answer, as you’ve asked her to, since she’s actually reading it.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of Ď19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Negin, I love James Herriott, too!

I finished Jayber Crow. 5 stars!

And I read Stormy Weather by by Paulette Jiles, who wrote one of the best books Iíve read this year, News of the World.
    I loved the story about a family during the time of the Dust Bowl and how they survived and overcame their awful poverty. I think I will give it 4 stars. I liked News of the World slightly better and I discovered sheís written more books so Iíll be looking for those.

Now Iím reading Caroline by Sarah Miller, a story of Ma, Pa, Laura, and Mary. Iím only on chapter 4, but itís good so far. Negin, have you read it?
    Joy, I've added "Jayber Crow" to my list. I'm looking into "Stormy Weather". "Caroline" has been on my wish list for a while. I think that it was Rebe who mentioned it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I am reading pretty much nothing because I'm too busy.
    Sorry, Rebe. Hopefully, you'll have time to read again soon.
    My physiotherapist just told me today that I shouldn't be reading in bed . That's the only time that I read and I've been reading like that all my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Paige, the main character does sleep with someone who he is not married to. I don’t remember that it describes it in detail, but there’s a bit of description of what’s happening, as I remember. Actually, Kathleen should answer, as you’ve asked her to, since she’s actually reading it.
    True. I forgot about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anjie in PA View Post
    I'm reading The Ragged Edge of Night by Olivia Hawker. For the last year or so, I've kept stumbling onto WWII-era fiction, and now I've done it again! It's very good, though. The main character is intriguing.
    Adding this to my list. And I do so love your new profile picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I read Now that You Mention it by Kristen Higgins. I don't remember how I was directed to that book, but it was very enjoyable. It was a fairly light read that included a few rom-com type tropes, but was overall a great light read and diversion.
    My library loan for A Gentleman in Moscow finally came through, and it does not disappoint! The writing is pure gold, and I find I am growing genuinely fond of several of the characters. It occurs to me that it is what Charlotte Mason might have called a living book. I feel like I am visiting Russia, making friends there, and learning so much that I never encountered in history books. I think that certain aspects of the story are also a warning to the wise about sweeping and radical societal change and unchecked idealism.
    Kathleen, "Now That You Mention It" looks like something that I may enjoy.
    Happy to hear that you're enjoying "A Gentleman in Moscow". That's exactly how I felt about it - like a CM-type living book. You already know that I fully agree with you on your last sentence.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Thanks, all, for chiming in! I wouldn't mind if it just says/implies that that happened. I just don't need any descriptive details
    Actually, as I read reviews on Amazon, it sounds fascinating and might be something I'd enjoy, too. I just don't read nearly fast enough these days (unless I drop everything else ). I've requested it from the library, but it's checked out right now ….
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I finished The Good Neighbor (5 stars) - everything that has to do with Mr. Rogers is 5 stars; I love him.

Also finished The Guilty Dead (2.5 stars) - I kinda skimmed through part of the middle and then finished it, really not that gripping of a book with a writing style that wasn't to my liking.

I'm now starting Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger - all I know about it so far is that the lady at the coffee shop made me take it home after I expressed a fleeting interest in their monthly book club.
    Mom to Silas (13), Cedric (11), Aria (9) Titus (7)

Look on education as something between the child's soul and God ~ Charlotte Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Thanks, all, for chiming in! I wouldn't mind if it just says/implies that that happened. I just don't need any descriptive details
    Actually, as I read reviews on Amazon, it sounds fascinating and might be something I'd enjoy, too. I just don't read nearly fast enough these days (unless I drop everything else ). I've requested it from the library, but it's checked out right now ….
    It's really a good book! My daughter Rachel loved it so much, she started reading all about Russia. Homeschoolers!
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of Ď19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Oh yes, Joy! Katie has loved all things Russia since she saw Anastasia as a child. She’s read everything she can about it. Years and years worth of readings ... she was excited to
    See a Russian Lit class offered at UA and says she wants to take it as an elective I’ve tokd her reading about Russia and reading russian lit are 2 separate things