Thread: Rebe: your Auto tech son

Default Rebe: your Auto tech son

Just an encouragement to you, I have several sons who were non-academic types who are now adults working as mechanics/diesel techs. There is a good demand for skilled people in that field.

My oldest son finds it hard to find qualified guys to hire sometimes!

My 12 year old isn't Harvard material either, but he knows his way around a gas engine. I am thinking his future will probably be along that line.

Thanks, Colleen! And Hi after so many years! I think of you often - it's true!

I completely agree with you about my auto tech son. I'm happy for him that he's finally finding his niche. And I know the job market is good - he got the job at the auto service place very fast, even though he's only a junior in high school. The owner has been there 20 years, starting just where my son is and is a graduate of a local technical college. They try to push all kids into college in our school district - so my son is an outlier and I think he's pretty proud of that, actually.

My son's birthday was yesterday and we bought him a small gas engine, which is what he wanted. And some shop towels and a socket set. So dh and I are totally behind him (within reason, 'cause he can't turn our suburban driveway into an unrestrained engine shop)! But he does feel out of place in our family and I wish sometimes that he could be 24/7 where he can use his gifts and learn what he wants to learn. But we're helping him as best we can and are really proud of him. He's doing the teen-boy-pulling-away thing that our oldest did, so thankfully I've been through it once and know it's normal!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I've spent MOST of my life in sales, marketing and ministry... which are all somewhat related. LOL! And of course I've done a lot of public speaking which is also related.

BUT... as an adult I worked two different jobs: 1 was as an auto mechanic with two buddies for a year. The other was doing commercial construction with two buddies- also for a year.

IN MANY WAYS those were the MOST SATISFYING things I ever did. Why? Because when you start out in the morning with a broken car, or an unfinished wall and wind up at the end of the day with a car that's running, or a wall that's built it's enormously satisfying compared to the perpetual process of teaching or preaching or selling that seldom offers the opportunity to see something FINISHED!!!
    Publisher
    Five in a Row

"Here's the gospel: you're more sinful than you ever dared believe; you're more loved than you ever dared hope." Tim Keller

Steve, that is SO my son's attitude! He just wants to DO something, FIX something, make something WORK right. He is driven in that way (no pun intended!). I definitely see the appeal of that!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry