Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 41 (October 7th - October 13th)

Default Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 41 (October 7th - October 13th)

everyone! Please share what you've been reading.

I read Israel and the Palestinian Nightmare - 5 Stars - If you wish to understand the truth behind the Arab-Israeli conflict, I highly recommend this book. As with all books like this, those who need to read it the most won’t. For me, it was both an eye-opener and frustrating.

I’ve had the bounty of visiting Israel four times and love that country. As much as I love it, I cannot stand anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism. To me, there is a very fine line between the two.

Many years ago, while in college, I remember a biased college professor (surprise!) who was anti-Israel and one of my friends reminded her that if Israel called a ceasefire today, and said that it would no longer fight, it would be destroyed immediately. If, on the other hand, the Arabs declared a ceasefire and said they would no longer fight, there would be peace. That’s quite a difference.

Here are just some of my favorite quotes – there are many. I’m only listing a few here. If anyone’s interested in seeing more, you can visit my review on Good Reads.
    “I believe that it is impossible to understand the current situation in the Middle East if one thinks that there is a territorial Arab-Israeli conflict at hand, when in fact, it is clearly a war of religions that unfortunately has no end in sight. To think that this conflict is about land, occupation, racism, apartheid or any other nonsensical media-based and politically created jargon is to play into the hands of those who for so long have taken advantage of the prevalent ignorance of the majority of the world’s public. Make no mistake, this conflict is a religious one, and although Israel is a secular state, it is its ‘Jewish character’ that has the Muslim world up in arms.”

“The ‘atrocities’ that are occurring or are alleged to have occurred in Israel are overshadowed by the myriads of killings of innocents in Syria, Somalia, Rwanda, Sudan, Egypt, Afghanistan and Iraq to name a few. So what makes this particular conflict so outstanding? The most logical explanation is that the Arab-Israeli conflict is not about land, occupation, politics, or a dispute over historical legitimacy and ownership of a tiny corner of real estate -especially one that lays within a sea of sand and has virtually no natural resources. This conflict is rooted in a much more encompassing issue: it is the battle between Islam and Judaism. Judaism and Islam are indeed at odds.”

“There are 56 countries have a Muslim majority, dozens that have a Christian majority, and even four nations that have a Hindu majority; there is only one country that has a Jewish majority and although Israel is only the size of New Jersey, it seems that one country is apparently one country too many for the world to bear. The rejection of a Jewish state is at the center of the most intensely monitored conflict in the world. Many believe that this volatility could spark the next world war."

“One of the great problems with Americans is that - being a decent people - they assume that everyone else is equally decent.” Rabbi Meir Kahane

Not necessarily today, but it would be nice to have quiet days like this from time to time.

MY RATING SYSTEM
    5 Stars
    The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    Last edited by Negin; 10-07-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

If you like true crime/mystery, this kindle book is on sale today.

Interesting book, Negin. My dh would probably like it.

I finished Caroline. Not the best book I’ve ever read, but an interesting point of view. 3 stars.

Now I’m reading Young Titan: The Making of Winston Churchill by Michael Shelden. My dd heard him speak and loved his book so she got one for me. I find it interesting because I really don’t know anything about Winston Churchill.
    Wife to David for 42 years, mom of 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Now I’m reading Young Titan: The Making of Winston Churchill by Michael Shelden. My dd heard him speak and loved his book so she got one for me. I find it interesting because I really don’t know anything about Winston Churchill.
    Joy, I have "Young Titan" on my Kindle. I don't know that much about Churchill either. All I do know is that he was far better than his predecessor, Chamberlain. I enjoy seeing his quotes from time to time.

I read a book that my dd told me I'd probably like, a children's book called The Humming Roomhttps://www.amazon.com/Humming-Room-...s=humming+room. It's inspired by The Secret Garden. I did enjoy it but have yet to start a new book. I am very wishy-washy on what I want to read next.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Negin, thank you for the heads up on The Killer of the Flower Moon! I have been wanting to read that.

I read Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callihan this week. It is a biographical fiction on the life of Joy Davidman, the wife of C.S.Lewis. I loved it! I give it 4 ⭐️S though, because it was a bit too long for me.

I am now reading The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis, historical fiction about the Barbizon Hotel, a place for young girls in the 50s and 60s to board. I am liking this one as well.

Then there is Women Talking by Miriam Toews. I'm having a harder time with this one. It is a literary fiction about a Mennonite colony in Bolivia? Venezuela? not sure of the place. A group of their men drugged and raped the women in this colony. The book deals with what the women decided to do. This is a hard one for me.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (19), ds (17) and dd (15)

I'm taking a Deborah Harkness break because the new Kate Atkinson book arrived for me at the library!! I'm really looking forward to reading, [I]Transcription.[/I Waking up an hour early is not difficult but going to bed earlier has been VERY challenging. LOL. I have lots of room to improve but I am getting more reading done. There are some fabulous books being read this week and I'm looking forward to "hearing" your reviews. Happy reading friends!!!
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I am very wishy-washy on what I want to read next.
    Rebe, hopefully you'll find something you like or love soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    Negin, thank you for the heads up on The Killer of the Flower Moon! I have been wanting to read that.
    I read Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callihan this week. It is a biographical fiction on the life of Joy Davidman, the wife of C.S.Lewis. I loved it! I give it 4 ⭐️S though, because it was a bit too long for me.
    I am now reading The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis, historical fiction about the Barbizon Hotel, a place for young girls in the 50s and 60s to board. I am liking this one as well.
    Then there is Women Talking by Miriam Toews. I'm having a harder time with this one. It is a literary fiction about a Mennonite colony in Bolivia? Venezuela? not sure of the place. A group of their men drugged and raped the women in this colony. The book deals with what the women decided to do. This is a hard one for me.
    Julia, "Becoming Mrs. Lewis" looks lovely and such a pretty cover. Added it to my list.
    Looking forward to your thoughts on the others. I would have a hard time with "Women Talking" also.

hi reading friends!

Stacia and I talked a little about World War Z last week, and my library had it, so I downloaded it. I do like the documentary approach with the geo-political angles it takes. This definitely is not the typical zombie book at all.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I'm taking a Deborah Harkness break because the new Kate Atkinson book arrived for me at the library!! I'm really looking forward to reading, [I]Transcription.[/I Waking up an hour early is not difficult but going to bed earlier has been VERY challenging. LOL. I have lots of room to improve but I am getting more reading done. There are some fabulous books being read this week and I'm looking forward to "hearing" your reviews. Happy reading friends!!!
    Michele, happy reading! Looking forward to your thoughts on "Transcription".

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    hi reading friends!
    Stacia and I talked a little about World War Z last week, and my library had it, so I downloaded it. I do like the documentary approach with the geo-political angles it takes. This definitely is not the typical zombie book at all.
    Kathleen, I'm adding this to my list even though it's not my usual genre. Many of my Good Reads friends have liked it.