Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 41 (October 7th - October 13th)

I've been reading Dark Enough to See the Stars in a Jamestown Sky -- a book Rebe recommended. I'm really enjoying it. The historical context is fascinating. I've always admired the first colonists and their strength of spirit and fortitude -- leaving everything behind to face a new world with no "store" right around the corner. Then to face starvation and Indians and sickness...… Oh, the grit these people had! Unfortunately the books are OOP, so they cost $$ (not on Kindle, though) -- but, I have a feeling these will go through my house and will be loaned out to friends, so I want the hard copies of the books. I just ordered book #2 (I had an Amazon gift card, so I used it ).

REBE -- thanks for the recommendation
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Michelle, I am eager to hear what you think of Transcription. I am waiting impatiently to get it from the library. I would buy it (that is how impatient I am) but it is $25 and that's a bit steep for me.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (19), ds (17) and dd (15)

I did finish WWZ this morning. Enjoyed it this time around too. For those wanting to delve into "horror", but not too much, this is a good book to try. It's really a geopolitical analysis within a frame of a worldwide epidemic (which just happens to be zombies instead of some other pathogen). My book club friends & I also watched the movie this past weekend. It realistically should bill itself as "inspired by WWZ" rather than pretending to be a version of the book. It's not. It's drastically different.

To be fair, I thought I wouldn't like the movie. Horror movies aren't my thing. Zombies aren't my thing. Even Brad Pitt isn't my thing. And, yet, I did like it. My liking it was probably helped by the fact that I watched it with friends (so we could comment, jeer, or -- like me -- spill my drink all over myself when scared by something in the movie). Having friends watch it with you helps protect you during a zombie attack, you know.

And now I'm back to finishing We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post

To be fair, I thought I wouldn't like the movie. Horror movies aren't my thing. Zombies aren't my thing. Even Brad Pitt isn't my thing. And, yet, I did like it. My liking it was probably helped by the fact that I watched it with friends (so we could comment, jeer, or -- like me -- spill my drink all over myself when scared by something in the movie). Having friends watch it with you helps protect you during a zombie attack, you know.
    That's funny! I would have probably enjoyed it a bit in that setting! I was with someone who was taking it too seriously.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    REBE -- thanks for the recommendation
    I'm glad you like it! I saw there are some used copies, so hopefully you can get them cheaper that way. Let us know if the others in the series are good!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry