Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monday DECLUTTERING

Thanks, you guys. Sometimes a gal just needs a little commiseration.

The tuner never came. That's for the best, but I have to get another one. I went out to the feed store and Home Depot, and am home to change before heading out again. The plumber isn't here yet either but has texted to say he's on his way.

I restructured my route - realized that where I am having my appointment, there is a Costco and a Harbor Freight over there, and the grocery is on my way home. So, I will just do those errands after my appointment. Then Boyo and I will winterize the coop with the stuff I bought at HD.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

To DO
    Return very overdue library books - Done - paid $9 in fines, and got myself a $.16 discount because the librarian didn't want to deal with change
    Get Milk - Done
    Laundry - started Two loads done, another two in machines
    pay home insurance and tax bills Done on insurance, need to write check for tax
    med insurance paperwork Need Dh for this, I almost don't want to get his work insurance, but then I'd have to look into the Obamacare system choices. I wish the enrollments were at the same time so I could compare easier.
    Paper piles Actually done - like I buckled down and went through tme all. I have a few scattered papers here, but that's it
    Verse copywork Done
    Mom to Silas (13), Cedric (11), Aria (9) Titus (7)

Look on education as something between the child's soul and God ~ Charlotte Mason

Cindy- Agreed! The weather is gross! Today is particularly not nice.

Robin- That plumbing is crazy. What has gone so wrong?

Shay- Praying for your unnamed item!

Lindsey- You are humming along!

Jekka- Way to go on saving 16 cents!

Jen- You are having an MRI? E goes back to school tomorrow. He flies out at 1:30.

Paige- I'm glad you had a good weekend and you have a slow week ahead!

Michelle- Well, it's Columbus day so a bank and school holiday. The town guys were here to fix a part of a dead end space they chunked up with the snow plow. The neighbor complained to them a lot and they showed up at like 7am on a day when many of us were going to be home and probably sleeping. Frankly, I think they did it to spite HER. The rest of us are collateral damage.

Since earlier:
    • cancelled the appt
    • made waffles
    • worked on cleaning the kitchen
    • prepared the rub for the ribs- tagged dh in to get them ready for the braising liquid after they set an hour
    • played two rounds of The Resistance- fun game
    • went to play mini golf at the science center- it was brutally hot for this time of the year and two kids got too much sun. The holes aren't great, but we did it for "free" with our special membership (a one time pass with this tier of membership) and one a free game. Unlikely to use it!
    • stopped at the mall- to get markers for college art (need to order them) and some ear buds for E
    • home to finish making dinner- put some carrots on in the IP

Now I'm going to head out and get Five Guys fries to have with the ribs. I hope to play another game this evening.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Robin --

Shay -- praying friend

Cindy -- I know what you mean, not only October getting away but the whole year

Jen -- is all ok? MRI

Jekka -- Yay for getting a break on library fines

Heather -- Oh YUM enjoy those fries!! Sounds like a good day!! Yep I bet they did the road repair at that time out of spite.

Apparently today wasn't a holiday for the city schools here. County got out but city didn't.

school complete
    l
    • oad laundry
    • scrubbed one of ds1 shirts again
    • fixed lunch
    • organized the freezers -- well mostly organized. They need some more work and defrosting but wasn't doing that today.
    • decided on supper
    • made cookies
    • put together casserole for supper -- cheeseburger tator tot casserole (per ds1 request)
    • cleaned kitchen

Ds2 mowed & weed eat the yard. He asked ds1 if he wanted to help. Ds1 said "nope and if I did it would NOT be the weed eating" Ds2 laughed.
    Y'all know ds1 walked 10-12 miles EVERYDAY last week weed eating. Oh wait they did ac 1 day, he didn't get that many miles in that day, he got 3 miles in.

Ds1 has been mostly lazy today. He did go out and untangle the neighbors dog. She got her lead line all tangled up. Ds2 was mowing and saw her. Called ds1 and said "come look at Lucy" She is a very funny dog. And he went out and inspected his brothers weed eating Oh he did go out and walk around the field for a mile.
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

Cindy & Michelle- I feel the same about October. And just this weekend it's really starting to look like fall. Crazy! But, the weather doesn't feel like it and we haven't had any really gorgeous fall days yet. Maybe one or two and October won't last forever. When November comes, it'll be well...November. But, the weather is crazy now. So, who knows.

Update:
    • ate dinner- we need to add more notes to the recipe. I kept telling Dan we needed like five hours and he didn't believe me. We do.
    • loaded the dishwasher and cleaned some dishes
    • had clothes put in the dryer
    • played two rounds of Coup- have you all played that game? It's a short card game, but tons of fun.

Now the Stargate folks are watching a last episode of Stargate for this break. It's the second part of a two parter. Then we'll play a long game until late. I hope to make cookies while I play. R said she'd make the dough and I don't mind getting them through the oven. We have to make enough for us to have a few tonight and send more off with the college kids.

It's been an enjoyable break. Of course R doesn't return to school until tomorrow night. Actually, I'm not sure when she plans to head back. The nice thing is that we all stopped and took a break with the college kids. Dan took today and tomorrow off to have fun with us. So, it was a nice time stop for us all.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Itís already almost 9 am. I need to get things moving around here. My plans:

-math with Wesley
    -math with Addie
    -math with Hudson
    -phonics with Addie
    -phonics with Hudson
    -history all together
    -grammar and composition
    -Shakespeare with Wesley
    -Biology with Wesley. Weíre going to try to make some models of atoms. Heís having a hard time getting the concept of bonding. He needs something more hands on.
    -make sure younger kids are reading
    -clean the disastrous kitchen. It just canít seem to stay clean.
    -respond to a couple of messages
    -practice piano
    -hang laundry when itís finished washing

Iím mainly just shooting for a good day of school

Robin, sorry you had such a hectic day!
    Heather, sounds like you got in some quality time with your family.
    Paige, I hope you got your relaxing day.
    Michelle, I wish I could come over!
    Shay, praying for you!
    Cindy, I wish I could have you tutor my kids!
    Jekka, the produce store was disappointing. They didnít have a lot and what they did have tended to be very expensive. I did find a few reasonable items.
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 14 and Hudson 11

This was a post from earlier that I didn't actually post:

I'm home after my meeting, which went well. I still have 3 errands to run. P's soccer practice is cancelled, and I'm glad. Right now the only soccer tonight, and it's tentative, is Boyo's, and he can ride his bike.

I'm home with the plumber now. The problem is found and fixed, and he's cleaning up. Then I get to write him a check. Basically what happened is when this house was built 50+ years ago, they used galvanized pipe. They connected our second-floor sinks and tubs to one horizontal pipe that had no slope, and T'd off somewhere in the middle. Between corrosion and sediment, the horizontal pipe was fully compacted. Unfortunately, because of remodels before our time, the pipe access wasn't easy to find and was restricted once it was found. So, my pantry is demolished - walls, ceiling, built-in shelves are gone. My mudroom got hit the least - a 2x3 chunk of drywall gone. The powder room, between the two, is missing most of its drywall as well. That's where the light went. So now the light is gone and the electrical to that room is shut off. (oops, now the plumber is cussing; that can't be good) Once we have working plumbing again, we can clean the spaces. I can't put things back in the pantry because many of the shelves are gone. So, all the food / food prep and serving / small appliances have no place to go other than my kitchen table and floor, and my guest room bed.

In an hour or so, Rob thinks he'll be finished, and then I will run to Costco, the grocery, and HF, and then home to cook dinner. I've eaten a lot of cookies today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's my current post.

Heather, your break sounds lovely.

Lindsey, thanks. It'll be that way for a bit, I guess.

I had my appointment, then I came on home to hang out with the plumber. He left around 5, but he'll be back! So I went to Harbor Freight and Costco and got what I needed. If I can't get to the grocery tomorrow, I will just do delivery. It will be ok.

The master bathroom is functional again. I have to clean it, though. It's gross. The powder room is functional as well, if you can get past the big holes in the wall and ceiling. The kids' bathroom sink is working, but their tub isn't - it has developed a leak, and the plumber will be back later to work on that for us. Fortunately the kids can still trek down to the basement to shower.

The pantry is down for the count. I was instructed to leave the drywall open for a couple of weeks to make sure nothing goes awry. But the shelves were torn out. So, I guess the plan is to put what I can away. The rest I will have to come up with something temporary for. Hopefully that will give me time to break this chaos gridlock and get some order happening here, and I will rework the pantry. The shelves were built in and were in horrible places anyway, so I will now get to fix that. And I will put beadboard on the walls and ceiling and it will be cute.

Meanwhile, I wish I was a tea drinker. I long to put my feet up (if there were an empty chair in the house) and enjoy a nice hot cuppa.

- - - Updated - - -
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

I'm still trying to get the kids up and going. But, I did make some progress around the house:

-started a second load of laundry, dh hung the first.
    -folded 2 loads of laundry
    -put away the clean towels
    -swept the living room and kitchen area
    -prepped math for the younger kids

I'm off to get some school work going with the kids.

Robin, I don't like tea either, but when I lived in the UK I decided I had to find some tea that I could possibly drink. I discovered that I like tea that doesn't taste like tea and I don't do caffein. So, peppermint is my favorite. I also like some apple cinnamon tea and Bengal Spice tea. So who knows, maybe you can find a tea you like. Regardless, I hope you get some time to relax!
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 14 and Hudson 11