Thread: Any tips for getting water and fluids in?

Default Any tips for getting water and fluids in?

Eliana had her tonsils and adenoids our last Tue. She is still hurting a lot. Iím having a very hard time getting her to drink because it hurts. Yesterday seemed like things got worse again for her. She has even turned down ice cream. Not much food either and she has lost a good bit of weight already.

So any tips for getting fluids in?

Iím mostly pushing water. She has had some frosted lemonades. Doesnít like popsicles or ice.

Thanks. Itís hard to see her hurting. She cries after each sip of water. She told me tonight she wanted to ďtake off her mouthĒ. (Translation: her throat hurts and she wants to get rid of it. )
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (25) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (19), Isaiah (17), Daniel (14), and Eliana Joy (11).

Iím going to assume she still on pain meds. Over-the-counter or prescription? If just over the counter, maybe the doctor can write a script for something a bit stronger. Or what about a sore throat spray?

What is her favorite drink? Water is best, but if she has a favorite juice, that might be easier right now. You could try to water it down a little bit if youíre worried about sugar, but I would just try and get whatever liquid you could in her.

Sorry this is so hard for her! Praying for you both

Edit: you said she doesnít like ice, but what about slushies? The cold would help numb and it would be hydrating. Even if it was mostly liquid with only some ice blended in finely crushed, it would still help.
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(18), Rebekah(16), Julianne(11), Jonathan(8)and Joshua(4)

This Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker makes the best slushies! You can put her favorite juice in there and have a slushie 25 minutes later. So, you could keep them going all day long. Sugar free stuff doesn't slush well, but you can do lemonade or even white grape juice. We made a nice slushie from Welch's White Grape juice a few weeks ago.

I hope you are able to get her pain under control and get some fluids going!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Shay - She is still on pain meds, just OTC tylenol. It was the first med that nurse gave in the hospital just hours after surgery. Then she got better stronger meds. Good idea to call for stronger if needed.

Sore throat spray is a great idea, but she will NOT open her mouth far enough for me to actually get it on her throat. She is pretty much just drinking water. We have some bottled smoothie which she has had a little bit of - but not much. She also likes lemonade. She got juice in the hospital and wouldn't drink it there and hasn't wanted it here either. She truthfully has not wanted anything at all!

Slushies are a great idea! Thank you!

Heather - I have that and didn't even think of it. Thank you!

Today is the first day that she has been able to drink some water without excruciating pain. Still crying some, but not all the time. I'm hoping this is the start of things getting better!!! Going to CFA in an hour to get some lemonade and get that slushie machine going!

Y'all are the best!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (25) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (19), Isaiah (17), Daniel (14), and Eliana Joy (11).

You could put the CFA lemonade in the ice cream maker! How about popsicles?

I am so sorry she's having a rough time.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

When my kids were younger, we made it a game!

I set the timer and made them take a swallow or two every 15 minutes. I celebrated the timer and if they took a good swallow, then I let them watch another short show.

They were sick with fevers and wouldn't drink! I also watered down some apple juice.

Praying Leslie!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

If you have a good blender you can make a slushie in about 10 seconds. We fill ours with ice & then top up with juice. Blitz for 10 seconds & perfection. Keep in mind we have one of those fancy pants blenders.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

How is she doing, Leslie?
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.