Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 44 (October 28th - November 3rd)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,716

    Default Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 44 (October 28th - November 3rd)

    everyone. I hope that it's been a good reading week for all.

    I read Origin - 1 Star - I keep wondering why I waste my time and energy on Dan Brown books. They’re formulaic and I should know better. The only reason that I read this was because of the setting (Barcelona). I need to give up on his books altogether. Brown definitely has a bone to pick when it comes to faith and religion, most especially Catholicism. Yes, it is fiction, but it also got excessively preachy for my liking. I’m not Catholic and I don’t have a horse in that race, but I can easily imagine that this book would upset those who are.

    Some quotes that I liked:
    “Remember death. Even for those who wield great power, life is brief. There is only one way to triumph over death, and that is by making our lives masterpieces. We must seize every opportunity to show kindness and to love fully.”

    “The most self-righteous in life become the most fearful in death.”

    “There has never been an intellectual advancement that has not included God.”

    “There is nothing more damaging for children than the loss of hope, Valdespino thought, recalling how the combination of God’s love and the promise of heaven had been the most uplifting force in his own childhood. I was created by God, he had learned as a child, and one day I will live forever in God’s kingdom.”

    The Bat - 2 Stars - I’ve read one other book by this author, “The Snowman”, and I remember liking it enough to want to read the rest in this series. This book, the first, wasn’t that bad, but it wasn’t great either. The story started out strong and I was hooked, but I started to lose interest by the time I was about halfway through. I’ve heard, and I also hope, that the other books are better.

    The Park Bench - 4 Stars - This is the second graphic novel that I have read by this author. If you can call it reading, that is. His books are far more visual than anything. It wasn’t as much of an emotional read as his first one, “Alone”, but it’s still a beautiful story nonetheless – the sort of book that makes you think and appreciate the world around you. It’s a story is about a park bench and the various people who visit it at different times.







    MY RATING SYSTEM
    5 Stars
    The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    Last edited by Negin; 10-28-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,288

    Default

    Negin, I'm intrigued by The Park Bench. I've never read a graphic novel which seems rather limiting. I've been reading only the Deborah Harkness book. Still not finished. Tbh...I'm avoiding the trigger issue. I'm just going to read it and..be done. Still haven't started the Barbara Kingsolver book.
    I'm kinda waiting for Julia..lol. Shh...
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,716

    Default

    Michele, I love a good graphic novel and reach for them as often as I can. Some of my favorites:
    The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt - love this one - thank you, Stacia!
    The Complete Maus - painful, WWII, holocaust, but fabulous
    Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant - aging and dying parents
    Books by Susan Branch - delightful
    The Best We Could Do - Vietnam
    Alone - by the author of Park Bench
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    I finished my Rosamunde Pilcher book and now I’m reading a new book by Myquillyn Smith, aka The Nester, Cozy Minimalist Home. It’s so good! It’s a decorating book but she takes you step by step to make your house cozy in a minimalist way. Decorating does not come naturally to me so I’m excited to get some help!
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of Ď19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Decorating does not come naturally to me so I’m excited to get some help!
    It doesn't come naturally to me either, Joy. I may get this one.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    Speaking of graphic novels, I finished Panthers in the Hole. Graphic novel format is not my favorite (though I'm becoming more open to it), but it works well for this book. The Rumpus review (which I linked) said, " Itís a documentary-cum-comic book." A sobering read.

    From The Rumpus review:
    For me, the biggest take-away from this book is that while the novel is the first-person accounts of these three men, Panthers isnít just about them. The Cťnous use the stories of Albert Woodfox, Robert King, and Herman Wallace at Angola Prison to explore the much broader narrative of the penal systemís mistreatment of African Americans. They set their sights on Angola because itís an easy target. It is an extreme example that is emblematic of a larger issue. Angola represents the nadir of the American prison system.
    I've started The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant. It's vampire fluff. Easy enough reading but I also don't feel a huge compulsion to pick it up again.

    Have mostly been spending time reading Ornish & McDougall works & plenty of cookbooks. 

    I really, really need to start Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes because it's for my book club & we meet this week.

    Mostly I feel like I'm spinning my reading wheels. I want something I can really get engrossed in....

    (Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    I've been on a kick with Chris Bohjalian books, and just finished Before You Know Kindness. The first three of his books I read were great, and they were fast reads for me because I got caught up in the story. Good characterization, intriguing story, and thoroughly decent writing. Before You Know Kindness is one of his earlier books, and much more slow paced. Parts of it were outright boring. I almost dumped it at the 10% point because it didn't seem to be going anywhere. Then something about one of the characters caught my attention, so I stuck with it. It was the character development and psychological aspect that pulled me through this one, but it still isn't one that I would heartily recommend.

    My next read is Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave. I haven't even started, so no opinion yet. I don't even remember if I heard about the book here or somewhere else!
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Negin, I read The DaVinci Code when it first came out. It was clear that he had an agenda in writing that book and it wasn't an agenda that I could get behind so I haven't read anymore of his books.

    Kathleen, have you read The Bind (I think that is the title) by Bohjalian? It's an older one, maybe 7 or 8 yrs. old, I liked that story; the ending makes you suck air.

    Michelle, you made me giggle out loud cause I was waiting for you to start. lol

    I finished The Rainbirds (I can't remember the author.) It started out really good but then started sliding sideways towards the middle. By the end it got back on track but there were a few gaps that bothered me. I am now reading Bitter Orange by Claire Fuller. It was really slow at the beginning. I was toying with the idea of giving it up when it turned around and now I am liking it. It's gothic tone is reminiscent of The Thirteenth Tale and Rebecca. I also started Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy. So far, I am enjoying this as well.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (19), ds (17) and dd (15)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    8,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    Negin, I read The DaVinci Code when it first came out. It was clear that he had an agenda in writing that book and it wasn't an agenda that I could get behind so I haven't read anymore of his books.
    Same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Still haven't started the Barbara Kingsolver book.
    I'm kinda waiting for Julia..lol. Shh...
    I am waiting for either one of you!


    I finished Stepping Heavenward (1869). I thought I might find it not as impressive this time around - being a fairly new Christian the first time I read it. But I found it to be timeless and a true classic. Then I read Book Girl by Sarah Clarkson. Well, I didn't read every word of it. It's full of book lists, and I took notes on some books I might like to read.

    One of my friends is recommending that I read the Emily series by L.M. Montgomery. Believe it or not, I've never read any of her books. So that's an idea. I also have a library book (cannot remember the title at all right now, something about a bookshop...), so I probably should start that first and see if I like it.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    plenty of cookbooks. 
    I really, really need to start Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes because it's for my book club & we meet this week.
    Mostly I feel like I'm spinning my reading wheels. I want something I can really get engrossed in....
    Stacia, I've been adding quite a few cookbooks to my wish list. The Netflix series, "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" or whatever it's called, has started me on this.
    I keep hearing about "Year of Yes". I guess it's a bit like "The Happiness Project".

    Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    My next read is Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave. I haven't even started, so no opinion yet. I don't even remember if I heard about the book here or somewhere else!
    Kathleen, I haven't read that one, but I have read at least one other book by him.

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    I finished The Rainbirds (I can't remember the author.) It started out really good but then started sliding sideways towards the middle. By the end it got back on track but there were a few gaps that bothered me. I am now reading Bitter Orange by Claire Fuller. It was really slow at the beginning. I was toying with the idea of giving it up when it turned around and now I am liking it. It's gothic tone is reminiscent of The Thirteenth Tale and Rebecca. I also started Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy. So far, I am enjoying this as well.
    Julia, "Bitter Orange" is already on my wish list. I'm going to look into the last one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I finished Stepping Heavenward (1869). I thought I might find it not as impressive this time around - being a fairly new Christian the first time I read it. But I found it to be timeless and a true classic. Then I read Book Girl by Sarah Clarkson. Well, I didn't read every word of it. It's full of book lists, and I took notes on some books I might like to read.
    One of my friends is recommending that I read the Emily series by L.M. Montgomery. Believe it or not, I've never read any of her books. So that's an idea. I also have a library book (cannot remember the title at all right now, something about a bookshop...), so I probably should start that first and see if I like it.
    Rebe, I love books with lists about books.
    I haven't yet read the Emily series either.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •