Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 44 (October 28th - November 3rd)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    One of my friends is recommending that I read the Emily series by L.M. Montgomery. Believe it or not, I've never read any of her books. So that's an idea. I also have a library book (cannot remember the title at all right now, something about a bookshop...), so I probably should start that first and see if I like it.
    I started The Bookshop of Yesterdays last night and abandoned it after 20 pages. My daughter and I had a long conversation afterward about how there are too many truly good and great books to read to settle for just reading meh books or books that are just not the right thing at this stage of your life, or whatever. And about how all of those judgments are intensely personal. So looking more toward my own personal "good and great" category, I requested Emily of New Moon from the library - I'm gonna give it a shot. But also, I have Leif Enger's new book, Virgil Wander, on hold and it's almost in - has anyone read it? Peace Like a River is one of my favorites, but I never did read his second book.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I started The Bookshop of Yesterdays last night and abandoned it after 20 pages. My daughter and I had a long conversation afterward about how there are too many truly good and great books to read to settle for just reading meh books or books that are just not the right thing at this stage of your life, or whatever. And about how all of those judgments are intensely personal. So looking more toward my own personal "good and great" category, I requested Emily of New Moon from the library - I'm gonna give it a shot. But also, I have Leif Enger's new book, Virgil Wander, on hold and it's almost in - has anyone read it? Peace Like a River is one of my favorites, but I never did read his second book.
    Good for your abandoning, Rebe. The older I get, the less guilty I feel about not wasting my time with books that aren't all that great. I thought that I had read "Peace Like a River", but turns out that I haven't. I'm continuously on a search for a fabulous book/s. I remember loving "Stoner", "Mrs. Bridge", and "Gone with the Wind" to name a few. I'm sure that I have some great ones on my shelf and on my Kindle, but deciding on which ones is not always easy. Hopefully either the Emily or Leif Enger's second book will do the trick for you.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

But also, I have Leif Enger's new book, Virgil Wander, on hold and it's almost in - has anyone read it? Peace Like a River is one of my favorites, but I never did read his second book.
    Rebe, I haven't read Virgil Wander, either, but I love Peace Like a River - in fact, I recently bought it at a book sale. I don't often reread fiction, but I would like to reread this one.

I finished Never Stop Walking, and I would recommend it. Christina has a compelling story, even if it's not the best writing. I started another one I have free on Kindle, The Question of Red by Laksmi Pamuntjak. It's OK so far; we'll see where it goes.
    Anjie, mom to Laura (22) and Erin (19)
    "Who will I be today: a fool or a teachable sinner?" - Charlie Peacock