Thread: Mac & cheese recipe

Default Mac & cheese recipe

Many, many years ago, long before the forums changed, someone posted a wonderful Mac & cheese recipe. I've used it for years and it was tattered & torn. The page ripped out of my notebook and I've searched diligently but I'm fearful it was accidentally thrown away. I'm love it if someone could remember it. My memory is fuzzy but it seemed, at the time, it was from a long time poster and maybe from a somewhat famous cook.

Here's what I can remember:
    1 pound elbow macaroni boiled 8ish minutes & drained

Then add 1/4 cup butter in pan, allow to melt,
    Add milk (think it was half & half) & flour to pan & heat until it thickens.

1/8tsp seasoned salt
    several types of cheese shredded
    1 cup velveeta cheese cut up into chunks
    pepper to taste

It's a recipe that I make in the winter time and a favorite. Unfortunately I haven't made it in months and my memory is fuzzy. Can anyone help me?

I don't have a memory of this recipe, but it might have been before my time on the boards. I am hoping someone can help you -- I would love to see the recipe!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

I wonder if the recipe could have been Miss Maggie's recipe from the old Hillbilly Housewife site? I will post it in the morning and here is hoping it is the right one.
    Wife to Darrell, mom to John, Patrick, DJ and Ryan, Stepgrandmom of 5, grandmother to Adam, Harper, and Alexander. Done homeschooling but not done learning!

Rosemarie, I vaguely remember something also, but unfortunately, I can't find it. I thought I had it in a word document. Chef John has become one of my favorites and everyone in my family loved his mac and cheese recipe. His videos are enjoyable.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

I remembered a bit more overnight. It's what happens when I wake up at 3 a.m. and can't fall back to sleep.

The recipe did not heat up the half & half. It was all dumped together with the macaroni & then placed in a 9x13 to bake for around 1/2 hour. I remember needing to save out some of the shredded cheese to sprinkle on top. There's an egg that goes in the recipe too and maybe a Tbsp or two of flour, not positive about the flour? I know there were at least three different types of shredded cheeses along with the cubed Velveeta.

I'll check out your recipe Negin. I appreciate all the responses!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemarie View Post
    I remembered a bit more overnight. It's what happens when I wake up at 3 a.m. and can't fall back to sleep.
    Yes, I can fully relate .
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

I found it!! It was in my 3 ring binder recipe book, the pages stuck together perfectly. I must have placed it there, not remembering doing so.

The recipe was from Becky Jane and created by Patti LaBelle. Here is it for any others that want it.

Over-the-Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese from a post started by Cindy in CA (remember her?) on 12/30/2008.
    Ingredients: (serves 4 to 6)

*1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    *1 pound elbow macaroni
    *8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    * 2 cups half and half
    *1 cup (8 pounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
    *2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    *1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    *1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart casserole.

Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook! Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, Cheddar cheeses, and Monterey Jack cheeses. The the macaroni, add the half and half, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt & pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

******I have adapted it a bit to fit my family, but this is the original recipe.*********

And just a side note...I was mostly a lurker way back then but I often wonder what happened to some of the regulars. I remember Cyndi in OKlahoma, a Debbie from Oklahoma, Oney, and so many others whose names aren't coming to me. These boards were such a blessing as a new homeschool mom starting out!

I found it!! It was in my 3 ring binder recipe book, the pages stuck together perfectly. I must have placed it there, not remembering doing so.

The recipe was from Becky Jane and created by Patti LaBelle. Here is it for any others that want it.

Over-the-Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese from a post started by Cindy in CA (remember her?) on 12/30/2008.
    Ingredients: (serves 4 to 6)

*1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    *1 pound elbow macaroni
    *8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    *1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    * 2 cups half and half
    *1 cup (8 pounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
    *1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    *1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart casserole.

Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook! Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, Cheddar cheeses, and Monterey Jack cheeses. The the macaroni, add the half and half, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt & pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

******I have adapted it a bit to fit my family, but this is the original recipe.*********

And just a side note...I was mostly a lurker way back then but I often wonder what happened to some of the regulars. I remember Cyndi in OKlahoma, a Debbie from Oklahoma, Oney, and so many others whose names aren't coming to me. These boards were such a blessing as a new homeschool mom starting out!

Yeah, glad you found it! I was going to say it sounds similar to the Fannie Farmer Mac N Cheese-- not exact, but I was pretty sure that was not the one you were after..
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

So glad you found it! I haven't made a mac and cheese recipe with eggs in a really long time - now I want to try it again!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Rosemarie -

Steve recently started a "homecoming" thread - lots of old-timers have checked in there....

http://www.fiveinarowforums.com/show...mecoming-mamas!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.