Thread: Substitute for coconut oil in this recipe?

Default Substitute for coconut oil in this recipe?

http://www.cookiesorbiscuits.com/?p=642

Trying to make Australian cookies before our Family Event tomorrow (Pumpkin Runner). I chose an easy dessert recipe but did not read through it before I went to the store. Can anyone help? I have only the oil that is not solid. Do I need to go back out?

Thanks!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (25) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (19), Isaiah (17), Daniel (14), and Eliana Joy (11).

Honestly, 99% of the time I can substitute coconut oil for butter or butter for coconut oil. With a son allergic to dairy, I usually do the other switch, but I'd go ahead and try it.
    Mom to Silas (13), Cedric (11), Aria (9) Titus (7)

Look on education as something between the child's soul and God ~ Charlotte Mason

Copha is just like shortening except it's generally made from animal fat. It comes in the butter department in a solid brick like the 1lb blocks of butter. I'd suggest shortening in it's place, which will give the shine. Copha is used in the "topping" chocolate usually because it gives a shine vs a dull appearance to the finished product
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Thank you both!!!

I have shortening for sure. Need to check on butter.
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (25) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (19), Isaiah (17), Daniel (14), and Eliana Joy (11).

Kendra - do you substitute one to one?

Yes.

According to the label I read today it's made from coconut oil Ha, which surprised me because it does NOT get soft when sitting on the counter. Anyway, here's a picture of what it looks like

copha.jpeg

It's just a white block of shortening, you can see the ingredient label here if you're curious. FWIW, I've never seen shortening on the shelf for sale here so I've either imported it or used coconut oil in it's stead because Copha is a tad pricey to use.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Thank you!

I made two batches - one with shortening and one with coconut oil. Both worked, but the one with coconut oil tasted better. It needed the sweetness added by that oil to make it really good I think. The second batch I'm adding some extra powdered sugar to make it taste a bit better.