Thread: Biology

Default Biology

Im struggling with teaching Biology to my eldest. Memorizing facts, terms and formulas is really hard for him (hes dyslexic). He isnt interested in any kind of a STEM job or STEM major in college, so I just want to cover the basics. Right now I have the Holt McDougal textbook with the digital content as well. It seems like this textbook has more details in it than I remember learning in science. Of course, weve discovered more since I was in high school. Just how much do kids these days need to know? Any tips, ideas or thoughts on how to make science more interesting and what the key concepts are that we should focus in on.
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 14 and Hudson 11

Have you considered CK-12 (www.ck12.org) for your biology text? It's free and it has videos along with the text and quizzes, etc.

Ideas for an alternative biology course:
    • include books (audios) of people in the field- folks that were responsible for big milestones
    • do projects instead of tests and quizzes- can do one big one per big unit (cells, genetics, human body, classification, and ecology)
    • narration- to hear that he is getting the concepts
    • write about a topic he wants to learn more about- our oldest did a paper comparing the bubonic plague with ebola (which was in the news at the time)
    • videos- there are a ton out there on biology topics
    • labs- for some of the concepts

There are lots of ways to see how he's doing at learning the concepts without memorizing a ton of facts.

Oh, but your comment is correct. They've downloaded a lot of advanced concepts into the high school and middle school scope and sequence for biology. For example, I learned gene sequencing as a sophomore in college. By the time I did my student teaching a few years later, I was teaching it to high school AP students. And it's only gotten worse in the last 25+ years.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

We used CK-12 for a couple of sciences and the kids liked it.

Have you looked to see what allinonehighschool.com might have? We’ve used their forensics and art history and both were OK.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Thanks ladies for the tips. You've got me thinking. I think I will give him the option of one project, paper, or a test per unit instead of trying to do frequent chapter test that are mainly based on memorizing terms. We'll also try to up the labs and videos and and look at some alternative texts. Thanks again!
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 14 and Hudson 11

Hi Lindsey,
    My oldest isn't in high school yet, so I haven't had to make that decision.
    But as a former public high school Biology teacher, I will say there is a lot of Biology (and Chemistry and Physics) that can be investigated without a heavy emphasis on memorization or math. I was also going to suggest having him narrate instead of filling out a worksheet with terms. This will let you see what he is taking away from the chapters, what he finds interesting, and also what concepts he is missing.

This blog has a great list of "living" science books and biographies.
    I have also used her curriculum guides for grades 4-6 and also 7-8 and I feel like the kids (and I) are learning a lot of great science from these.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

We have been there. We love the 101 series.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin in Colorado View Post
    Ditto the "101 Series"! It's not rigorous, but my daughter has learned a lot, and for a 'non-STEM' girl, this was a good fit!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

Quote Originally Posted by Robin in Colorado View Post
    Yes! This is what I was going to recommend! This is a great, affordable, and engaging resource for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics!
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3