Thread: Scholarship Question

Default Scholarship Question

Katie's been filling out some scholarships for next year. At Univ. of AL, you typically just fill out one application and then they distribute it to everything you fit for (and you have no clue what all that is ). BUT, they also offer something through the English dpt (no clue what, though). So odd. Anyway, for the Eng. Dpt. all they want on top of the general info you filled out for the whole school is "a sample of your writing." Period. That's it. That's all the instruction. I think it's a 2000 word limit. So what do they want? A personal essay? A literary essay? (I'm leaning to option 2). I'm clueless. There are no other guidelines.

What do YOU think?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

If they don't specify, then I think it is up to you. Whatever you choose, I would choose something she's written that is her BEST.

I would select something that shows off her talent in this area. Remember they will be sifting through 100s of these or probably way more. What is a piece of writing that would show her off as a stand out? That's what I'd choose. Make it something the reviewer will enjoy reading. Make it memorable.

Avoid something that is like what everyone else will turn in.

If you choose something literary, then make sure it is captivating in topic, voice, and style.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

I think I’d lean towards a personal narrative rather than a literary critique.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

I think it's completely up to you. For her Honors application, my dd had to turn in two writing samples and one was a "straight" essay that she didn't really care for writing but it did earn an A. The other was fiction, something she loved writing and was good! She got the top scholarship.

Some English majors are there for creative writing, so if her fiction is her absolute best, I would use it.

As always, if you are seriously in doubt, call and ask the department what your best approach is.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry