Thread: WWII recipes

Default WWII recipes

I just got this email from Taste of Home that has 35 "thrifty" recipes that people made during WWII. I thought they'd be fun to look at if you're studying that time period

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collecti...66ABE0646F2AAD
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

When we moved I lost my favorite WWII recipe. It had been in the Family fun magazine for the Olympics in Australia for Anzac cookies. Those were the best.

Jill in Monrovia

Those recipes made me chuckle due to the excess use of eggs. I remember my great grandmother telling me how they used mayo to make cakes because it reduced the need for eggs and oil. We use to think of her Chocolate Mayo cake as a WWII cake

Jill, this is the Anzac Biscuit recipe most Aussie's making on Anzac Day. Caster sugar is like a slightly finger grain of typical white sugar which you can totally use, and if you can't land your hands on true treacle molasses will work
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Fun! Thanks, Paige!
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Thanks for the recipe.

Jill in Monrovia