Thread: Does anyone tutor other children?

Default Does anyone tutor other children?

I am wondering if anyone here tutors for extra income, and if so, what subjects do you tutor and how much do you charge? (You can PM me if you wish!)

Thanks!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

I do! I've been tutoring for about seven years now. Most of my students are internationals, so I help them with anything they need, but it's strongly English-based. I have tutored most subjects and ages, but I limit myself on math. I charge $25 / hr.
    Anjie, mom to Laura (22) and Erin (19)
    "Who will I be today: a fool or a teachable sinner?" - Charlie Peacock

Thanks for your reply, Angie!

I was thinking of focusing on our local homeschool population, and particularly in writing/composition. Working with international students is a possibility, too, as we live in a college town and have many foreign students attending.

I'm feeling more and more drawn to this idea... and possibly starting next semester! What would you consider to be important "start up" steps? I have done some research, but right now is a busy time for me and so I'm just playing around with the idea, talking to husband and friends, etc., trying to get a feel for whether this is something I want to do. I already edit for a local author/friend, help some speech and debate students with their material, etc., and have been an editor/proofreader for many years.... but focused tutoring is a big step, and I want to make sure I'm ready for the commitment!

How many hours to you tutor a week? Do you only tutor on specific days (in other words, you set your own schedule?) Thanks for any feedback!

From my experience, you'll need to check out what other tutors in your area charge. If you want to specifically tutor homeschooled students, you might consider charging less than the going rate.

In our area of Virginia, the going rate is $50-60/hour. I don't tutor full time so I've never charged more than $30/hour. If I were going to build a clientele, I would also start at the lower end and then raise my rates as I gained more experience and competence.

Last summer I was offered a full-time tutoring job for an elementary student with learning disabilities. I did not take it because the parents wanted me to create a complete curriculum for him even thought he is enrolled in a private school. I did get some advice from a friend who runs a full-time math tutoring business. Her suggestion is to never accept less than $50/hour if you are working with a student with learning disabilities.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Thank you for the comments and suggestions! I am super busy over the holidays, but this is a burning 'thing' in my mind and I am so grateful for your comments!

I am guessing that the going rate around here would be more like $25 (we have a veteran homeschool mom who tutors math and that is her fee per hour). However, I would not charge that much starting out. I also may take it "case by case" depending on the family and the need. I wish that i could just tutor for free (and I have been helping kids here and there), but I need the extra income and this helps me quit another job that is getting too taxing for me. (long story on that).

I think my greater need is how to actually structure what I want to tutor, which is writing and English. And, I want to stress "tutoring", not providing and grading assignments....

Something to work on after Christmas, and I'm actually looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly L View Post
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions! I am super busy over the holidays, but this is a burning 'thing' in my mind and I am so grateful for your comments!

I am guessing that the going rate around here would be more like $25 (we have a veteran homeschool mom who tutors math and that is her fee per hour). However, I would not charge that much starting out. I also may take it "case by case" depending on the family and the need. I wish that i could just tutor for free (and I have been helping kids here and there), but I need the extra income and this helps me quit another job that is getting too taxing for me. (long story on that).

I think my greater need is how to actually structure what I want to tutor, which is writing and English. And, I want to stress "tutoring", not providing and grading assignments....

Something to work on after Christmas, and I'm actually looking forward to it!
    Two things: the homeschool rate is usually not the going rate.

Secondly, tutors often write their own lesson plans. You would need to be up front with parents that you don't do that, and that would be a reason to charge less.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....