Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 49 (December 2nd - December 8th)

Default Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 49 (December 2nd - December 8th)

everyone. Please share what you've been reading.

After trying out a few books that I abandoned, I'm now reading The Physician. So far, so good.

"There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

I have started one I've seen mentioned on a couple of "best of 2018" book lists (including NPR's annual list, which is one I always love to use for reading inspiration)...

My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

Satire meets slasher in this short, darkly funny hand grenade of a novel about a Nigerian woman whose younger sister has a very inconvenient habit of killing her boyfriends.

"Femi makes three, you know. Three and they label you a serial killer."

Korede is bitter. How could she not be? Her sister, Ayoola, is many things: the favorite child, the beautiful one, possibly sociopathic. And now Ayoola's third boyfriend in a row is dead. Korede's practicality is the sisters' saving grace. She knows the best solutions for cleaning blood, the trunk of her car is big enough for a body, and she keeps Ayoola from posting pictures of her dinner to Instagram when she should be mourning her "missing" boyfriend. Not that she gets any credit.

Korede has long been in love with a kind, handsome doctor at the hospital where she works. She dreams of the day when he will realize they're perfect for each other. But one day Ayoola shows up to the hospital uninvited and he takes notice. When he asks Korede for Ayoola's phone number, she must reckon with what her sister has become and what she will do about it.

Sharp as nails and full of deadpan wit, Oyinkan Braithwaite has written a deliciously deadly debut that's as fun as it is frightening.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Stacia, eager to hear what you think. That's a powerful cover!

Stacia, I have that on hold for me at the library. I have heard a lot of good things about it so I'm eager to hear what you think.

I finished A Place For Us by Fatima Mirza. I loved this book!!! It was very slow going because you didn't want to miss anything. This is a character driven book. The characters are beautifully developed. I finished it on Friday but I am still thinking about it!

I am currently reading The Bridge of Clay by Marcus Zusak (I think someone hear did not like it but so far it's okay but, admittedly, I'm not that far in,) Transcription by Kate Atkinson (liking it so far) and Final Report by Rick Mercer (Canadian non-fiction about Canadian politics, economics and culture served with humour.)
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (19), ds (17) and dd (15)

Thumbs up

Hi reading friends! I am reading Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. It's about a young girl's search for her mother who disappeared years prior. So far it is a nice page-turner with reasonably good characterization/writing. Picoult's books can be a bit formulaic, but I find them just the thing for times like the present in which I am stretched 10 directions and just need something to get lost in when I have a spare moment.

Why do I keep getting an error message that my reply was too short and must be lengthened before I am allowed to post? I've never seen this before. (There, hopefully this will make my post long enough to go through!)
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

No time to reply the way that I would like, but if anyone has the time, please share your favorite Christmas-themed books. Rebe, I'm thinking of yours also - the one with a train on the cover? - can't remember the name, I'd like to start reading at least one Christmas-type book every year. Maybe more.

Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon
    Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher
    Miss Read’s Christmas Tales
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of ‘19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Thank you, Joy!

Julia and Kathleen, the books that you are both reading sound good. I'm looking into them on Good Reads right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Negin View Post
    I'm now reading The Physician. So far, so good.
    I read that 30 years ago and LOVED it. Wonder if it's as good as I remember? You'll have to let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    I am currently reading The Bridge of Clay by Marcus Zusak (I think someone hear did not like it
    That was me. I just wasn't impressed with the first chapter and it actually got on my nerves a bit - nothing at all like The Book Thief, which I loved. So I'm eager to hear what someone who has actually read it thinks - it may be much better than I gave it credit for.

No time to reply the way that I would like, but if anyone has the time, please share your favorite Christmas-themed books. Rebe, I'm thinking of yours also - the one with a train on the cover? - can't remember the name, I'd like to start reading at least one Christmas-type book every year. Maybe more.
    Yes, that was Mystery in White, a light, fluffy, cozy British mystery that I really enjoyed. I love the cover, too.

I'm almost done with They Came Like Swallows, and it's so wonderful. The writing is just perfect. I need to finish it because someone has it on request at the library, which makes me happy.

I need to start some good Christmas reading, always beginning with A Family Christmas, compiled by Caroilne Kennedy (you all are so patient and kind to let me talk about this book year after year after year...). Then my next book will be one I never knew existed: Star Over Bethlehem by Agatha Christie Mallowan. I had no idea she wrote this, but I just got it in the mail and am eager to read it this year. It's poetry and stories, but I don't think they're mysteries (hence the use of her married name).
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

everyone. Please share what you've been reading.

After trying out a few books that I abandoned, I'm now reading The Physician. So far, so good.
    I LOVED The Physician! That is on my list to definitely read again. Yes Rebe, it is as good as you remember!
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3