Thread: Games or other programs for typing - for different ages/children

Default Games or other programs for typing - for different ages/children

Hi friends,

I'm looking for something to do with Eliana that would be a fun way for her to learn some keyboarding skills. She does not read fluently and still a beginner. One of her therapists suggested starting with a game but it seems a hard thing without the reading skills. Anyone have suggestions or experiences for me?

Also, ideas for a teen? My son was a late reader and has significant dyslexia issues. He is reading pretty well now but his keyboarding skills are abysmal as I've always just let him dictate to me.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (25) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (19), Isaiah (17), Daniel (14), and Eliana Joy (11).

Hi Leslie. What kind of computer do you have? I have a free program that came already on my iMac that my non-readers can use. It's called Animal typing Lite. I think there's a regular version you can purchase. It does a lot of just learning the keys and then simple words. I haven't used this, but I've heard of Type to Read and Spell. Wish I could be more help!
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd12.5, d11, ds9, dd7, dd5

Hi Mindy. Thank you! I have an iMac but didn’t know about that game. I will look for it. I will look up your other suggestion as well. Thank you so much!
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (25) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (19), Isaiah (17), Daniel (14), and Eliana Joy (11).

My kids have both used Touch Type Read and Spell. Jacob is an excellent typer, and Mattie, my dyslexic is still coming along. She's only 30% of the way through the program. But she's ;earning to use Pages or google docs for typing (for spell-check, most importantly), so she has to learn something besides how to hunt and peck.

This is usually on sale through Homeschool Buyers Coop.
    Melissa, Five in a Row Staff - Community Manager
    Married 19 years to Robert. Homeschooling Jacob, 16, and Mattie, 12 all the way through.

"Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you!" ~ Sovereign Grace Music

Melissa - Would it seem ok for a teen? Is it mostly for learning to spell? Type? Thanks for your help with this - both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Nelsen View Post
    Melissa - Would it seem ok for a teen? Is it mostly for learning to spell? Type? Thanks for your help with this - both of you!
    Jacob used it as an 8th grader with 12th grade reading and spelling capabilities without any balking. I told him it was the program I picked for typing and he didn't ask about it.
    It has them type words over and over before going to sentences. I think all programs would do this. It's definitely mainly a typing program. I think they say it helps kids learn to spell by adding the kinesthetic component of typing.
    Melissa, Five in a Row Staff - Community Manager
    Married 19 years to Robert. Homeschooling Jacob, 16, and Mattie, 12 all the way through.

"Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you!" ~ Sovereign Grace Music

Thanks Melissa. Sounds like a good fit for my guys but most likely not for Eliana. Does that seem right? How long did you use it? Wondering if I really need a year.