Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 2 (January 6th - January 12th)

Default Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 2 (January 6th - January 12th)

I hope that it’s been a good reading week for all.

I finished Winter Solstice - 5 Stars - Joy, thank you for the recommendation! It’s been almost thirty years since I read anything by Rosamunde Pilcher. I remember reading most of her books during my early twenties and liking them at the time, most especially “The Shell Seekers”. I’d like to read them all again eventually, since I don’t remember them at all.

This book was perfect for me and beautifully written. Yes, it was a bit predictable at times, but it was all part of the charm – a cozy Christmas read. The Scottish setting made me want to be there.

Although Rosamunde Pilcher has now retired, I almost wish that there was a sequel or an epilogue. I loved the characters that much. They seemed so real and ending the book felt like leaving old friends behind.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“And the wicked thing is, that when we're really upset, we always take it out on the people who are closest and whom we love the most.”

“Life is so extraordinary. Wonderful surprises are just around the most unexpected corners.”

“The only way to make disasters bearable is to laugh about them.”

“Was she good at the piano?”
    “Not very.”
    “Was she good at lessons?”
    “Not very.”
    “What was she really good at?”
    “Living. That’s important, isn’t it?”

“At the Bookstore” By Kristina Vardazaryan

MY RATING SYSTEM
    5 Stars
    The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

I finished Virgil Wander. It was so good! My only complaint is I wanted one character to get his due and it looked like the story was headed that way. I’ve given the book 4 stars and will look for Peace Like a River to read soon!

Now I’m reading Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist and about to start reading Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst with Abby. I also want to say - and I know this thread is not about Bible study but I buy books sometimes to do with Abby - we just finished the Advent study by Elizabeth Foss called Rooted in Hope and it was excellent. I will be buying another book by her in the future. I mention it because a lot of us on here love Elizabeth Foss.
    Wife to David for 42 years, mom of 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Joy, "Virgil Wander" is on my list, as is "Peace Like a River". I can't even begin to say how much I enjoy this thread and everyone's input. You ladies are all the best!

"Bread and Wine" looks like something that I will love, absolutely love! Why, oh why, can I not have more time to read?

It's perfectly fine to talk about Bible studay, Advent study, and anything you like here.

Tried & abandoned two:

Sunburn by Laura Lippman. Seemed boring & I didn't care about the characters or what they were doing. This was one from that thriller list I linked.

Cherry by Nico Walker. Seems like a book I might have liked, but I didn't like the writing style/cadence of the storytelling.

Not sure what I will read next. I do need to start Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea for my book club.

As real life will ramp up again tomorrow (busy), I've been busy cleaning up & cleaning out around the house. So, not lots of reading done this past week.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    Not sure what I will read next. I do need to start Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea for my book club.
    Stacia, I read "Gift from the Sea" years ago and remember liking it a lot.

You mentioned cleaning up and cleaning out. Have you seen the new Netflix series - the Marie Kondo/Tidying Up one? I think I remember that you liked the book. I haven't read it yet, but we have watched the first two episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Negin View Post
    Stacia, I read "Gift from the Sea" years ago and remember liking it a lot.

You mentioned cleaning up and cleaning out. Have you seen the new Netflix series - the Marie Kondo/Tidying Up one? I think I remember that you liked the book. I haven't read it yet, but we have watched the first two episodes.
    I never watch tv (or Netflix or whatever), but I heard about the series. My teens have Netflix, so I logged in & watched the first two episodes the other day. I did enjoy her book & it was fun to see her in person interacting with others. As you know, decluttering books are my brain candy/soothing reads, lol.

I never watch tv (or Netflix or whatever), but I heard about the series. My teens have Netflix, so I logged in & watched the first two episodes the other day. I did enjoy her book & it was fun to see her in person interacting with others. As you know, decluttering books are my brain candy/soothing reads, lol.
    I know! I remember you loving to declutter! Remember how much we laughed about the Feng Shui books? Dd and I just finished watching the 3rd episode. The first one - the wife was annoying, we thought. The second couple were sweet. The third family is lovely also. I also remember that you don't watch TV. I seldom watch it either. We just watch a movie or show some nights of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Negin View Post
    I know! I remember you loving to declutter! Remember how much we laughed about the Feng Shui books? Dd and I just finished watching the 3rd episode. The first one - the wife was annoying, we thought. The second couple were sweet. The third family is lovely also. I also remember that you don't watch TV. I seldom watch it either. We just watch a movie or show some nights of the week.
    Hey, I still have that Feng Shui book because it *does* spark joy for me. (It makes me laugh because a couple of parts are so ridiculous! ) Uh, of course, the book is buried somewhere in my piles of books....

Hey, I still have that Feng Shui book because it *does* spark joy for me. (It makes me laugh because a couple of parts are so ridiculous! ) Uh, of course, the book is buried somewhere in my piles of books....
    Love it !