Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday DECLUTTERING!

Default Saturday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Bedrooms- kids' rooms, master bedrooms, guest bedrooms. Regular cleaning and then go beyond- vacuum under the beds, dust the windowsills, etc.

School Challenge: Long range planning and prep

For me today:
    • make breakfast
    • make sure the last recycling bins comes in
    • get the trash out
    • blog work
    • school planning- world cultures today
    • reading time
    • group work- send a few emails
    • school island
    • start pork roast
    • measure desk- considering moving my monitor upstairs to the studio
    • work transport- R is working another hockey game tonight
    • investigate private music lessons for J- he's considering clarinet as an upgrade from recorder
    • play some games

It's Saturday! What have you all got planned?

No plans for us. I'll be working around the house and doing some blog work.

Have a splendid day!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good Morning!
    We are grey and cloudy, but snow is on the way! Only 1 - 3 inches in the forecast so we'll see what we actually get. I'll be nice to have some snow cover though.

So far:
    • email management and reading
    • early morning WM shopping run
    • unloaded car and put away cold food
    • filled in everyone on the happenings at WM plus how I could have been hit by a truck who ran through his red light The dude's light was clearly red, and had been red for awhile because I thought it was going to turn on me before I got to the intersection and it didn't. Luckily I was slowing down because I turn left at that intersection, and I saw him out of the corner of my eye, so I stopped in time. I have no idea what he was thinking because a car in the other lane was stopped as well as a couple cars across from him. He even turned and "waved" at me as he passed. Geez.

So our WM is getting rid of all cashier lines except for 10, and two of those are 20 items or less. All the other cashier lines are being converted to "Scan and Go" lines. They already had the self-checkout ones, and rearranged those. So technically, I guess, they will always have more lines open. You just have to do it all yourself or wait in line for a cashier. Thankfully this morning, they had maybe 8 cashier lines open because not all the scan and go lines were up and running yet. Who knows how many cashier lines will be open on a normal basis. So I wonder if some cashiers will be losing their jobs?

For the rest of TODAY:
    • get the ornaments off the tree and packed up
    • dh will get the tree out
    • put away both nativities
    • vacuum and put the living room back together, get out more of my snowmen...
    • homeschool weekly review and prep for the new week
    • chili cook-off and pie auction at church... not excited about this being right after finishing up with holidays, but it's "what we do"
    • tutor lessons

I have no idea what time we are leaving for church, so I need to find that out and get busy with the other things.

Have a great day!
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Cindy- That's wild for your WM, but then there are never more than a handful of cashiers in ours when we go. So, maybe it'll be better?

On your note about jobs from yesterday, that is a tough one. I might gently discuss the administrative skills necessary for a job like an executive director. That would be miserable for him if it's not in his skill set.

It's a tough time in life with husbands and work, I think. There's less time left to retirement than what they've already worked or else it's right in the middle. Just an observation I'm making. I imagine your guy is older than mine, but it's not as much fun as it was in the beginning.

But, we're ramping up in our little homeschool mom to getting out there again moms world- just a little. Am I right?

So far today:
    • made breakfast
    • took R to work- she was wrong on the time and was late No hockey for her tonight.
    • made out the tax check- not like anyone is there to receive it, but I'm sending it!
    • agreed to help Dan with the huge job of stripping and putting stuff on the floor in the kitchen- needs it badly, but that will keep me busy with emptying buckets as he does the floor. This is a process that restores shine to vinyl floors. It's amazing and if our floor ever had it, it's long gone. It should really cut down on the dirt on that floor. Dan thinks its gotten a little porous so it is forever pushing up dirt.

The neighbors are screaming. Again. SERIOUSLY what is their deal?

Time to get the trash out and get the kitchen tidied so we can do work in there. What are the odds that we can get food from somewhere other than my kitchen today?
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Update...since we're working!
    • got my quarterly taxes into the mail
    • trash was collected and taken out- twice
    • lots of recycling was taken out
    • cleaned up the kitchen
    • started the dishwasher
    • emptied the pantry floor
    • swept the kitchen
    • swept the foyer and powder room
    • vacuumed the edges of the kitchen
    • vacuumed the edges of the foyer
    • had baseboards dusted in the kitchen, foyer, and up the stairs
    • been emptying buckets of water and taking clean water to Dan
    • making good progress on the school island!

Gotta go do more water!

Heather: Good job on the taxes going out!

I've been going back and forth between houses gathering junk and putting it away. I really really want my sister, but she's 6 hours away - someone come help me figure out how to organize this pantry! I'll get it in the end, but some tasks are easier with a friend.
    Mom to Silas (13), Cedric (11), Aria (9) Titus (7)

Look on education as something between the child's soul and God ~ Charlotte Mason

I can't believe it's Saturday.

There was snow on the ground when I woke up yesterday; it snowed off and on through noon today. They told us to expect 8". Nope.

The homeschool Civil War Ball is tonight. My girls have been down there to practice, and will return tonight in full regalia. DH and I will also go; Belle and Boyo will stay home and watch Star Wars. It's K's favorite day of the year. I enjoy it but it's too long for me.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for the charger to my camera. I'd like to take some photos tonight, but I can't find the charger to charge the battery. Been puttering today - the kids have been in and out and DH and I have had the chance to have a few conversations as well. Now he and Boyo are out getting haircuts. But the kitchen is cleaner than it was when I woke up t his morning, and a load of laundry is happening.

P and Belle are defrosting mice on the snake shelf to my right; I can totally see that while I type. Not even sure what to say about that.

I got a little soccer work done, and have a couple more little things to take care of on the computer.

Heather, I played clarinet in high school. I still have mine. It hangs on the wall in my living room, next to my mom's flute, my uncle's banjo, and the other family instruments. I wonder how your neighbors would react if you recorded them from inside your house and played it back to them...

Cindy, WM is a big employer in my home area; it's sad to think of them replacing people with self-check. Plus, the checkers provide interaction for people who might have none otherwise.

Jekka, it's too bad we don't live nearer; we could help each other.

Have a great day, friends.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Jekka-- Yes, some tasks are just easier, and more fun, with a friend.

HeatherW-- We've talked before about his lack of administrative skills. He's knows it, but he thinks the other tasks of the position (that he would be good at) will out weigh the admin parts, and I'm not so sure about that. We'll see if he mentions it again. Sigh. Maybe I'm just hesitant because I was excited about the funeral director thing. I still think he'll be great at that. sigh.

I'll report back in from the chili supper. I gotta go wash my hair. I've been cleaning all day.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Good afternoon!

Heather, so sorry the kids are screaming again. Boo!

Cindy, I'm so glad the guy didn't hit you! I have to admit, I really love the self check. I am not good at small talk and there are some chatty cashiers at our wm. And usually I'm just getting a few things since I do the bulk of my shopping with pick up.

Jekka, I'm no help on organizing. I'm still trying to figure out the best way for my pantry 2+ years in....

Robin, have fun at the ball!

We had a slow start this morning. I didn't get up until 8:00 since the dog wasn't inside until later last night. I made breakfast and showered and then my mom came over to use our washer and dryer since her washer stopped and she needed the sheets to put back on the bed! While she was here, ds interviewed her because he had to do an interview for this week's paper, so that was fun.

Then I took dd to a pizza/game place for a church event and ds and I got some lunch and then went to Barnes & Noble for coffee and working on his homework. When we got home I started a load of laundry.

The rest of the plans:
    *finish the laundry
    *PTE/grocery order
    *make sure dd has swimming stuff--she's going with a friend in a bit
    *RAR challenge
    *meet up with my old co-workers for dinner

Have a great day today, friends!

Jen- Have fun seeing your old co-workers!

The Screaming- it happens whenever they are outdoors. Like every time. They scream at the top of their lungs. One kid might be the worst, but there's more than one voice involved. When the days get longer and windows open in the evenings, I will be undone. I will have to consider gracious ways of asking them to keep a check on the screaming. With my own kids it was a matter of reminding them that we live in community with others and to be mindful of how loud they are. These folks...it does not register in any way. So, I hope my mentioning it will change behaviors. It's not like I need it silent though that is preferred. It has always been very quiet here. I don't mind kids' voices and play. It's the screaming as loud as we can because we are outside that is a problem- particularly when the duration is all day. SERIOUSLY. It goes on for hours and hours. My issue with it is that we cannot enjoy our spaces because of their noise. Once your behavior infringes on others, it becomes a problem.

Since earlier:
    • continued the bucket brigade- between the kitchen and the basement (to empty dirty water and bring up clean water in a two sided bucket)
    • put away items in the school room
    • put a map on an easel on top of a bookshelf- looks cute there
    • added a link to my new post
    • boxed up the microscope supplies- it needs a little rearranging to get the box lid down right
    • dusted the top of the school island- put lots away from on there
    • put away the games from the game bag- finally!
    • put the bag away
    • stored some art pieces
    • read some games directions
    • set up a game
    • took pictures of the game- doing a review for another site
    • took pictures of the flower experiment- before starting the kitchen
    • picked up R from work
    • ordered pizza- the kitchen is off limits for the rest of the day. I wish I'd known that. I didn't plan it.

Pizza should be here in 20 minutes. I'm sure that later I will end up going to the store to get something else to eat since it's early. I grabbed snacks from the pantry, but they are not sustaining the growing teen boy who is complaining!

While I was on bucket brigade duty, I worked in the school room so I could return for duty easily. So, that was helpful in many ways!

Laundry is done and I did some ironing while watching an episode of Father Brown. I also made the menu plan and grocery order for the week.

Dd is off swimming with her friend, ds and dh are watching a movie, and I will head out soon!