Thread: Snowflake Bentley Observing Snowflakes under a Microscope

Default Snowflake Bentley Observing Snowflakes under a Microscope

My kids and I have been observing snowflakes under the microscope. We wanted to see if we could do what Snowflake Bentley did!

We have a microscope with a digital camera and we were successful! Because it's not a dissecting scope, the field of view is small and we can't see the whole crystal at once but the images are stunning!

Here are instructions on how to collect and see the snowflakes under your microscope. Have fun!

How to Capture & View Snowflakes under a Microscope
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Super cool, Heather!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 20yo Eli, 18yo Kyle, and 14yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

God certainly makes beautiful microscopic icy things! In full disclosure to any mom with littles wondering how Heather did this project, check out the ages of Heather's kids on her signature line. This is a fabulous resource, Heather!
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Thanks Heather!
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd11, ds9 1/2, ds8 and ds6 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura F View Post
    God certainly makes beautiful microscopic icy things! In full disclosure to any mom with littles wondering how Heather did this project, check out the ages of Heather's kids on her signature line. This is a fabulous resource, Heather!
    So true- my kids are old! But, if you have access to a microscope and your littles can play nearby while you grab a snowflake and look for it, they will be thrilled to see it when you have it ready for them!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

This sounds wonderful! Praying for snow!
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd12.5, d11, ds9, dd7, dd5