Default and now.... Chemistry

What did everyone use for Chemistry?

Curricula I'm considering:
    - Mr. Q's Chemistry
    - Discovering Design with Chemistry
    - Friendly Chemistry
    Rachel, mommy to Max and Zoe - 16, Abby - 14, and Sam, 11
    Moving at the speed of homeschool

We take Chemistry through our coop (and include the lab), so we use what they use. With K, the teacher used Apologia Chemistry. M's current teacher is using a Prentice Hall version along with something else (???? -- can't remember what) plus all kinds of his own stuff (he's a professor at the University). I don't know anything about the ones you've mentioned.

I think several people here have used the CK-12 ???? (or whatever it's called) -- I've never used that for anything, either.
    Maybe Heather will chime in. I think she's used that. ????
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

We use the 101 series.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

We've used Prentice Hall and we've used CK-12. I haven't run across the three you named.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

I'm using the Discovering Design book. Dr. Jay Wile used to work with Apologia(and we used their 2nd edition Chem course with Nathaniel and Benjamin) and did their high school science books. For some reason, there was a split and their newer Chem book was done by someone else and I heard there was a lot of inaccuracies. Berean Publishers now works with Dr. Wile and the Discovering Design is his newest Chem book.

I used it with Nick and now using it with Bekah. It seems pretty thorough, supposed to be a good college prep course(Dr. Wile is/was a college prof). The kids do the labs at home, uses mostly simple stuff or easy to find/order items. No one has caused an explosion yet in my kitchen. Nick did very well with it, took college chem this past semester and did well there. Bekah has been fighting it since we started(hates math, loves the science concepts). Math is her most hated subject. EVER. She is getting it though. Shocked herself and me this week by scoring a perfect score on her test. She worked hard for it though.

I do recommend it, but I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping, so not sure how it compares to other courses.
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(18), Rebekah(16), Julianne(11), Jonathan(8)and Joshua(4)

Friendly Chemistry, we love Dr H. We're using FC this year after having using his Biology last year. We use the video lectures. Word to the wise, I chatted with Dr H and he explained that the Chemistry is set up differently than his biology and you don't need to buy all the books available. For two kids he felt it was fine to just purchase the teacher book {which has the student book written in it and no answers}, the annotated answer key, and the manipulative book. He ended up giving us his video lectures as a Thanksgiving present, which was so very sweet.

He offers a 20% restart discount if youre using another curriculum and move to Friendly for any reason, which we were unaware of and is part of why he gave us the free Chem videos as we paid full price for the Bio. If you're on FB check the Chem webpage, I think things are on sale for 20.19% off. Weird number, but his way of having a New Year Sale. I do not know how long it lasts as I didn't pay it much mind having already acquired our curriculum.

My kids are enjoying it, and the child who did Biology last year really enjoyed Dr H's way of teaching. He started with another well known curriculum and did fine with it, but our non-school hating child was hating biology, so we made the switch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShayChristie View Post
    I'm using the Discovering Design book. Dr. Jay Wile used to work with Apologia(and we used their 2nd edition Chem course with Nathaniel and Benjamin) and did their high school science books. For some reason, there was a split and their newer Chem book was done by someone else and I heard there was a lot of inaccuracies. Berean Publishers now works with Dr. Wile and the Discovering Design is his newest Chem book.

I used it with Nick and now using it with Bekah. It seems pretty thorough, supposed to be a good college prep course(Dr. Wile is/was a college prof). The kids do the labs at home, uses mostly simple stuff or easy to find/order items. No one has caused an explosion yet in my kitchen. Nick did very well with it, took college chem this past semester and did well there. Bekah has been fighting it since we started(hates math, loves the science concepts). Math is her most hated subject. EVER. She is getting it though. Shocked herself and me this week by scoring a perfect score on her test. She worked hard for it though.

I do recommend it, but I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping, so not sure how it compares to other courses.
    Did you know that Guest Hallow offers a Chemistry course that is low/no math and is mostly based on kitchen experiments {ie making cheese, yogurt, marshmallows, etc.}
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    We've used Prentice Hall and we've used CK-12. I haven't run across the three you named.
    O.k can we chat about CK-12? So the kids basically are reading all of the material online and then watching the videos and doing the practice questions and completely the tests? There is a lot of information there! Do your kids do all of the reading there and watch all of the videos? Where are the experiments?
    Rachel, mommy to Max and Zoe - 16, Abby - 14, and Sam, 11
    Moving at the speed of homeschool

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    O.k can we chat about CK-12? So the kids basically are reading all of the material online and then watching the videos and doing the practice questions and completely the tests? There is a lot of information there! Do your kids do all of the reading there and watch all of the videos? Where are the experiments?
    My kids do the reading and portions of the questions at the end of the chapter. Sometimes I use the workbook instead (included with some levels). They do not do all the videos if they get a concept. Sometimes labs are included with the material and sometimes you watch demos.

It is a lot of material. We aim for about 75% of it which is a full credit of high school science. Also, you can choose the level that your kids will do- whether it is an honors text or an easier text.

If you have any mobile devices, you can use the app which lets you use content that way. It was very convenient for my daughter to complete physics that way last year.

I use other sources for labs and insert some throughout the year. I'm working on lab module courses that go with any science curriculum. I'm doing biology first, but I plan to offer modules for all four years of high school science!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).