Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday DECLUTTERING!

Default Friday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Entryways, foyers, mudrooms, laundry areas, and kitchen counters- something for everyone!

School Challenge: Tidy up from this week of school.

Inspiring Thought: Tomorrow is Groundhog Day! How about a geography quest on topic?

For me today:
    • update planners
    • read aloud
    • studio work
    • blog work
    • laundry- how did I fall behind?
    • change out the calendars
    • art lessons
    • media room- the game table is cluttered
    • use apples- in a variety of ways
    • walk- only missed a day. My goal is five days.
    • play games
    • reading time
    • history center drop- ambassador meeting for I.

Another below zero morning in upstate NY, but we're headed for 18* this afternoon. When it gets to the 40s next week, we'll think it's summer!

Last night I spent time encouraging a former post doc's wife on homeschooling. She is drawn to it, but I saw her ask about a popular intense program in a FB group and I messaged her. She was glad I did!

We also finished the third Harry Potter movie last night. I was disappointed with this one. It's one of my favorites so far and the movie mixed too many things up and it felt disjointed and like it was missing things.

Other than various taxi assignments, I'll be home today.

Have a fun-filled homeschool Friday!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Hello Friends,

I had a rough day yesterday. I'm not sure what my deal was, but I didn't get much done (and had a bad attitude).
    I am determined to have a better day today!

House Insulation: I house is insulated poorly and really can really tell these last few cold days. The bedrooms are okay, but the living spaces are chilly-willy!

Logan's Birthday Dinner: We made it out to Logan's birthday dinner at a local doughnut/burger place. We have a local doughnut shop called Sugar Shack. They make the most amazing doughnuts, both yeast and cake varieties. At the shop closest to use, they also opened up a burger place. They serve beef, turkey, crab, and vegan burgers and a variety of waffle fries. That is it. The burger place is called "Luther Burger" because you can "Luther" any burger by asking for the bun to be glazed doughnuts. Apparently, the singer Luther Vandross is famous for having done this one day when he ran out of hamburger buns. Anyway, we went last night and it was all Logan had dreamed it could be. Everyone "luthered" their burger but me, I ordered a Boston cream doughnut for dessert

goals for the day:
    wake everyone up!
    school
    prep for the women's social (pack up paper goods and name tags, make jam bars, and wrap the hostess gift)

also:
    laundry
    dinner for the kids? (Maybe beans and rice in the CP)
    pack bags for the kids. Dan has to work late tonight. I don't feel comfortable leaving the kids home alone so I will need to take them to the Women's social. I already contacted the hostess and she is cool with it and has rooms for them to hang out in.

Have a great day ladies, I need to get my family rolling!

- - - Updated - - -

HW - Very cool that you got to encourage a new hsing mom.
    I hope the ambassador meeting goes well for I.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Good morning!

Heather -- glad you were able to talk to the hsing mom! Great job!!!

Angela -- hope you have a better day today! and on Boston Cream donut! I am not a donut fan -- they are just super sweet (hurray -- there's something out there I can resist ), but I love Boston Cream donuts with chocolate icing. Ohhhhhhh yum!!!

PANTRY ORGANIZATION -- revisiting this …. I just saw this post on Southern Savers and thought some of you might like to read it, too
    https://www.southernsavers.com/organ..._IH4jYW3mM-EYA

Today:
    * School -- need to have a good day. Hopefully kids are feeling better and we can accomplish this. We'll see what all we can get done.
    * find K's book receipts for college and see if we can plug them into our tax info -- turns out that 529 plans need to be deposited directly to the university or with the student (I think). Thankfully, it's not such a costly mistake this go-round for us ($300-400 on taxes ) -- hate that we've found out the hard way and are going to lose that money, but glad it was $2500 worth and not more than that!

* clean house -- bathrooms and vacuum

* maybe work on boy clothes some (AGAIN) -- need to weed out clothes, especially pants, in Cale's closet that don't fit. He keeps saying "I have plenty that fit," not reaching the conclusion that thus far everything he's worn recently is too short, which means EVERYTHING is most likely too short Sometimes you have to wonder about the logic of teen boys -- well, you really don't have to wonder Then see if I have anything in the box that WILL fit. UGH. Not a pleasant activity, but one that needs to happen.

* celebrating K's birthday tonight -- she wants chicken parm for supper over angel hair pasta with broccoli and homemade garlic bread sticks. Yum. Sounds good to me

* I need to submit M's contact lens rebate -- NEED to get this done!

* wash some towels.

Ya'll have a FABULOUS Friday!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Paige- Yes, 529 cash is tax free to go to the university or it can go to the student for school expenses. I'm sorry that turned out poorly for you. I learned something the expensive way this week too. Stink! We're still learning the tax implications for our kids from Dan's tuition benefit for their schooling. Should be an interesting tax year.

Did I mention Isaac has grown four inches since the summer when he had his last allergy appt? The size 18s from Old Navy he had to roll up when I bought them and I recently noticed he no longer needs to do that.

AR- I hope you have a better day today! I hate it when I can't seem to turn my attitude around.

So far:
    • worked on a blog email- I'll send in a bit
    • made a lunch
    • did the campus drop

Off to use more of my morning work block.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Heather -- Are you seeing that scholarship money counts as income? Is that right? Do you know? Early college here is a 50% "grant"/scholarship? So, we just pay 50% of the tuition for that, but from tax forms, it's seeming that that scholarship money is income? Is that right? Dh does our taxes, but I"m seeing bits and pieces and am wondering ….. Are you discovering this?

and on these boys and their growing!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Heather -- Are you seeing that scholarship money counts as income? Is that right? Do you know? Early college here is a 50% "grant"/scholarship? So, we just pay 50% of the tuition for that, but from tax forms, it's seeming that that scholarship money is income? Is that right? Dh does our taxes, but I"m seeing bits and pieces and am wondering ….. Are you discovering this?

and on these boys and their growing!
    Yes, it appears it counts as income but not necessarily for you and your husband. This will affect the college student's taxes. Cornell's tuition benefit is for all of our kids no matter where they go to school. The percentage is higher for those who attend Cornell, but they pay a good percentage to any school our kids attend.

Update:
    • finished a guest post
    • emailed with my designer- had two files corrected
    • worked on a landing page for gardening science on my website
    • finished an image
    • scheduled a blog email to go out
    • switched the kitchen calendar
    • erased the hall calendar
    • worked on chemistry
    • sent some group emails
    • sorted laundry
    • started laundry
    • moved laundry- hung some, dried some
    • started more laundry
    • washed up some dishes- just one left
    • loaded and started the dishwasher with the KP kid
    • had hand towel in the powder room replaced
    • had soup refilled in the powder room
    • wiped down the fronts of all the appliances
    • wiped down the kitchen table
    • working on algebra II with the junior-

Currently, I'm sitting at the kitchen table with Isaac doing Algebra II. When that is finished, I'm going to do more website work.

I don't have much time, but I just wanted to officially welcome Minnesota back to hoodie weather! I went out this morning and walked from the coffee shop to the bank, then pumped gas all with just a hoodie and gloves. It was 8 wind-chill of -4 but I didn't feel the wind. It's up to 16 now and I'm about to go out again to bring Silas to math club.
    Have a great Friday!
    Mom to Silas (13), Cedric (11), Aria (9) Titus (7)

Look on education as something between the child's soul and God ~ Charlotte Mason

Yes, scholarship money is considered income. It seems like we received a a tax thing of some kind from the universities? I can't quite remember. So yeah, they get you one way or another. But there were also some tax perks for us having kids in college. We found out how much when our girls were done with college. The difference was a shocker.

Jekka-- Glad you've graduated to Minnesota hoodie weather.

We've had a lovely weather day. Light snow showers this morning, and sunshine and blue skies the rest of the day. We made it to 20*F with no wind chill!

We did some Friday school, which is a little less than our normal, went to both the city library and the county branch library, stopped at the grocery store for country style ribs on special and chicken, and have been doing other misc things around the house.

Funny... I had my mexican pinto beans in the crock pot, cooking overnight. I woke up in the middle of the night smelling it and thinking, wow the smells from cooking supper really collected in here. I went back to sleep and woke up again thinking the same thing. Then it dawned on me that I didn't cook mexican for supper! I finally remembered why the house was smelling so good. I really need to do those more often, but I'm basically the only one who eats them. The boys don't eat them and dh will tolerate them in chili, but he doesn't like refried beans. What is wrong with these men in my life?

We are getting take-out pizza tonight, and then Friday night ice cream.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Hi, everyone! It's been 50 degrees and sunny here; the snow is melting.

I took Belle to her neuro appointment; it's her second appointment with him (she sees a neuro every 6 months). We had a good appointment and he agreed easily to do some research for her. He actually did it and called this afternoon. Now she and DH and I have some discussion to do on what he found out. The doc is being very supportive; that was pretty unexpected.

After, she and I went to Costco and the grocery. She had a nap, and I finished school with the others; then I had a nap. Now the kids are playing soccer and I'm heating the over for the frozen pizza. I need to be at the dance in an hour.

We had a wonderful time at the concert last night. DH had to leave very early this morning to catch his flight. The good news is that he is able to fly home tonight. We'll all probably want to sleep in tomorrow.

Heather, I really struggle with the HP movies; they were just such a let down.

Angela, what a great place to go for a birthday dinner!

Paige, did you get that rebate sent in?

Jekka, woo hoo for the hoodie!

Cindy, I snagged some ribs at Costco today. What ya gonna do with yours?

Enjoy your Friday night, y'all!
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.