Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturday DECLUTTERING!

Good morning, everyone! It's a little gray here but it looks like t hat will clear off.

Heather, I am excited to see R's design. Also excited for you to get rooms painted.

Jekka, some time spent organizing sounds lovely.

Michelle, my horizons are broadened here, too.

C
    indy, looking forward to seeing your post.

Shay, enjoy your time on the hill!

Angela, that sounds way fun.

So, been a busy week. DH of course had to be out of town Tuesday through Thursday. His travel is hard on all of us. Our computer went down and heat was off. We had to cancel the carpet for Tuesday because of the Elvis emergency, and so we will have to wait until next week.

I think I posted about Elvis. There was a lot more than I can post, and there are some pretty big issues. If you think of it, please pray for his health - especially on behalf of K. It was pretty traumatic for her. Anyway, he's home now and we are grateful. The heat is back on and as you can see, so is the computer.

One of my "extra kids" is getting married this afternoon, about an hour away. I am excited! We are all getting ready now. However, there is concern about leaving Elvis home alone for that long, so we are trying to figure out what to do.

I haven't gotten one single thing done on the house for three weeks, except for vacuuming yesterday. I am chomping at the bit to do housework and projects, but all of these crises (both large and small) are taking not only my available time but my energy as well. I've been just a bit shell-shocked. I miss having the wisdom and counsel and support of older women in my life. But tomorrow is a chance to start over, so I'll be starting again in the morning.

Enjoy your day, friends!
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

~early morning WM shopping run
    ~unloaded trunk and brought groceries in... ds11 manned the door for me
    ~put all the groceries away
    ~dh washed the dishes while I was gone
    ~supervised ds11 with the washing machine... he cleaned his room and had his clothes all gathered and ready to wash when I got home
    ~picked up the living room and vacuumed the floor
    ~vacuumed with the hose... the computer tower, the printer, the corner where all the cords are, and the keyboard
    ~tidied up my book piles from schooling this week
    ~tidied up the computer desk and put things away
    ~took some recycling out to the garage bin
    ~started working on the table piles
    ~made mini pumpkin muffins for church fellowship tomorrow

This time a copied my list before trying to to "go advanced". Good thing because it still says Forbidden when I go there.

I realized this morning when I started picking up the living room that I still have some Santa decor hanging around. So I'll gather those up and put them away. I need to decide on supper. I have browned burger I can do something with. Then I need to do homeschool weekly review and planning, and some tutor lessons.

HeatherW-- A drag outfit for a 6 foot dude sounds interesting. I can't wait to see it!

Robin-- I'm glad Elvis is back home with you all.

Shay-- I sleep around 7 hours per night, only waking up once or twice. I hope you get your sleeping issues figured out. It's hard to function on little sleep.

Michelle-- I think it's fun to learn about all sorts of things here too.

Angela-- Glad your women's gathering was nice, even though it was only a few of you. The Christmas tree burning sounds awesome. We always save ours to burn too, but no party. And we chop ours up. The city would frown on the standing tree method since we are only allowed small campfires.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Hey all. Quick check in. I’ve read a couple of times today but have been on my phone (am now, too) ....

Hope everyone is having a good day.

It’s been low key here —
    — dh and cale went hunting. Didn’t see anything
    — I did some laundry
    — took m to town to shop a bit — found Cale a sports coat at the thrift store (he outgrown all his nice dress clothes)
    And found her a couple of things at jcpenny
    — cookers yummy supper
    — now we’re settling into a movie

Gottarun...
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Since earlier:
    • helped in the boys' room- lots of vacuuming under beds and taking things to the basement (I assigned that part) and helping to move furniture
    • updated two microscope posts
    • worked on a freebie graphic
    • started a new Pinterest board on microscope activities
    • helped one of the students in my course
    • brainstormed more ideas for my microscope course- I'd like to have this one live in another 6 weeks if possible.
    • made dinner
    • dishwasher was run
    • fried up ground beef- and froze portions
    • went to see the LEGO movie- with everyone. It was ok...

Ethan enjoyed his box.

It's nice and clean in all the corners and behind the furniture in the boys' room. Dh will be doing the walls, cleaning the carpet, and applying allergy stuff to remove the dust, mites, etc. There's this stuff that denatures the protein we're all allergic to. It'll be good. What we haven't done is figured out a color for the walls. We'll have to do that.

And one perk is that I recovered my Kindle Paperwhite case from under the bunk. I knew it was there and was afraid to see how dusty it would be!

Time to get the bedtime routine going!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post

Jekka- I'm curious as to why you did not build closets to start. I'm sorry it's all been such a hassle!
    Why indeed?
    1. The is no legal requirement in the entire country that requires a bedroom to contain a closet. Not one. It is an arbitrary standard set forth and enforced soley due to the choices of assessors and mortgage lenders, because they can hold America to a ridiculous standard that exists no where else in the world that originated with upper middle class flaunting of huge houses with plenty of extravagant spaces. There isn't even a standard on what a closet is.
    2. I hate closets. I hate the wasted space they create, I hate the doorways they have: bifold, traditional, sliding, all inconveniences that lead to space not being utilized to it's maximum potential.
    3. I hate clutter. I hate how closets fill up with clutter, how people accept them so they can throw junk into them and pretend it's not there.
    4. I can do better. I made shelves in the bedrooms that hold more than a mere closet, display shelves, work spaces, clothes storage... I just did it with no doors.

Umm, I probably should stop, because I really really hate closets. I hate them even more now than I did last year when we decided we didn't want them.
    Mom to Silas (13), Cedric (11), Aria (9) Titus (7)

Look on education as something between the child's soul and God ~ Charlotte Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Jekka Renee View Post
    Why indeed?
    1. The is no legal requirement in the entire country that requires a bedroom to contain a closet. Not one. It is an arbitrary standard set forth and enforced soley due to the choices of assessors and mortgage lenders, because they can hold America to a ridiculous standard that exists no where else in the world that originated with upper middle class flaunting of huge houses with plenty of extravagant spaces. There isn't even a standard on what a closet is.
    2. I hate closets. I hate the wasted space they create, I hate the doorways they have: bifold, traditional, sliding, all inconveniences that lead to space not being utilized to it's maximum potential.
    3. I hate clutter. I hate how closets fill up with clutter, how people accept them so they can throw junk into them and pretend it's not there.
    4. I can do better. I made shelves in the bedrooms that hold more than a mere closet, display shelves, work spaces, clothes storage... I just did it with no doors.

Umm, I probably should stop, because I really really hate closets. I hate them even more now than I did last year when we decided we didn't want them.
    Ok I'm kind of in love with this closet rant. Particularly #1. It is so something I would say if not about closets about something else. With this argument, I cannot believe you didn't win support on this position! Can you make something and then take it down?
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).