Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 7 (February 10th - February 16th)

Kindle book on sale today - autobiography/memoir/Russia

"There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by Negin View Post
    Kindle book on sale today - historical fiction.

Thanks for posting this! I love this book, and am excited to own a Kindle copy. I actually have a first printing of it that had belonged to my grandmother. It was quite scandalous in its day, but is fairly tame at this point. The backstory of this book is well worth keeping in mind. While the cover and title make it look like a Harlequin romance, this book is quality historical fiction representing an era that is usually romanticized and presented inaccurately. The story takes place over the course of the mid to late 1600s in England, and includes the restoration of the monarchy after the Cromwell era, the Bubonic Plague, and the Great Fire of London. The author's husband was a historian and professor who specialized in this era, and she typed his papers, articles, research, and doctoral thesis for him over the years. She was as well educated about this era as any historian could be! Her imagination took hold, and she placed her fictional and flawed heroine in this time so that we could all learn about the era and enjoy the ride through her beautiful writing. I just downloaded it, and it is still on sale - highly recommended!
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I love this book, and am excited to own a Kindle copy. I actually have a first printing of it that had belonged to my grandmother. It was quite scandalous in its day, but is fairly tame at this point. The backstory of this book is well worth keeping in mind. While the cover and title make it look like a Harlequin romance, this book is quality historical fiction representing an era that is usually romanticized and presented inaccurately. The story takes place over the course of the mid to late 1600s in England, and includes the restoration of the monarchy after the Cromwell era, the Bubonic Plague, and the Great Fire of London. The author's husband was a historian and professor who specialized in this era, and she typed his papers, articles, research, and doctoral thesis for him over the years. She was as well educated about this era as any historian could be! Her imagination took hold, and she placed her fictional and flawed heroine in this time so that we could all learn about the era and enjoy the ride through her beautiful writing. I just downloaded it, and it is still on sale - highly recommended!
    Kathleen, thank you for sharing all that. You are so lucky to have your grandmother's first printing of it. I didn't know much about this book at all. I only heard about it from lists of people who happened to like "Gone with the Wind". I hope that the Kindle edition is a good one. Sometimes, more so with classics, they can be a bit flawed to say the least. How nice that the author had the same name as you!
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor