Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for older students and Madeline...

Default Ideas for older students and Madeline...

HI all
    I did Madeline 2 years ago with my kids..Well, DD who is 5 loves the story and wanted to do it again this year... So, we are doing it again this year, but I need some help making more of it for my DS who is in 3rd grade...Any ideas?
    Happily married to Paul and blessed to be raising 2 wonderful kidlets, ,Tommy, my 9yo. Lego Lovin' Karate Kid and Libby, my 6yo. Dancing Queen...

Off hand, I think I would have the third grader really delve into the health and communicable disease lesson and follow that trail. Especially with winter coming!
    Carol, mom to 22 yo, 21 yo, 19 yo, and 16 yo.
    I don't really care who did it. I just want you to clean it up.

Lisa, Check out the ARCHIVED posts for Five in A Row - Madeline. They always give ideas for go-alongs... (books and crafts).

Off the top of my head, a 3rd grader could do quite a bit of math with Madeline. Since there are 12 girls in 2 straight lines, that lends itself to multiplication and division. What about a French lesson? Some French cooking? A more in-depth look at France of French-speaking countries? The health suggestion is a good one, too.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Quote Originally Posted by Laura in Texas
    Off the top of my head
    That's better than what I have came up with... and I have racked my brain (little one it is)...
    I like the idea of multiplication and division...
    We are doing quite a bit with germs and bacteria, but I just needed some other stuff... My well-laid plans sometimes do not work out...
    Thanks so much...
    Happily married to Paul and blessed to be raising 2 wonderful kidlets, ,Tommy, my 9yo. Lego Lovin' Karate Kid and Libby, my 6yo. Dancing Queen...

Dabble in engineering re: the Eiffel Tower. There's a set of plans out there (on the internet) somewhere to make one out of Legos. The internal structure of the Statue of Liberty was designed by Eiffel, btw. Fascinating stuff about how we learned to build big.
    Blessed to be Home With The Kids
    Logan (14), Hannah (11), Aaron (9), (Little One Eternally Home 2007), (Liam 5)

How about some research and presentation (books from library, etc.) about ambulances and first response teams and such. There is a picture of an old fashioned ambulance in Madeline. Perhaps even a field trip to meet an ambulance crew and talk with them?
    Jane Claire
    Author of
    Before Five in a Row , Five in a Row
    and Five in a Row Nature Fall, and Winter, Spring and now Summer!

When we rowed Madeline we read a go along book Adele and Simon. It had so much architecture and history in the illustrations. We studied the differences, and the similarities in the illustrations of buildings in the two books. Adele and Simon is very detailed, while Madeline is not, and you get the idea of so much movement in Madeline.
    We really focused on the art, I guess.
    The funny thing is, the moment I am in one country, I am homesick for the other.
    Allen Say from Grandfather's Journey

One more idea: There's a new Madeline book that was written by the author's grandson. It's called Madeline and the Cats of Rome. If you can find it, it might be a good book for both your students.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Quote Originally Posted by Monica W View Post
    Lisa, Check out the ARCHIVED posts for Five in A Row - Madeline. They always give ideas for go-alongs... (books and crafts).
    I'm new.. please share how to find the archived posts to go along with each story..
    Thank you, Cassy