Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What encourages you?

Hollie, you are such an encouragement to me.

Not everyone here knows yet that Mary Evelyn has been diagnosed with ADHD as well as dyslexia and several other learning disabilities. As we struggle through learning the basics, I am finding it hard to be encouraged too. More and more she is realizing that she is "behind," something that is only just now starting to bother her.

I haven't given much thought yet as to what encourages me but as I read this thread I realize it's PEOPLE that encourage me. Friends like you, my husband, people who have been there, people who offer to pray...God's people. It's good to know that she is made in God's image, that she is who she is, that she WILL learn in her own time. And sometimes it takes others to remind me of those truths.

Jen, so thankful to be wife to Jason and mom to artsy Rachel (17), explorer Mary Evelyn (14), and tenderhearted Betsie (9)

Reading through this today and thanking all of you for your posts.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 18yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

On my worst days, I remember what my best friend told me......"God knew you'd fight and struggle THIS hard for these children. That is why HE gave them to you. Anyone else would have given up or turned them over to the state to educate. He knew you were the perfect mom for them, just the kind of mom they needed to help them be the best they can be."
    Last edited by Heidi in IN; 06-14-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    Heidi in IN
    HSMom to 2 FIARgrads

I had never noticed this thread until today. I would like to share what encourages me.

I am new to all of this as I finally recognized this past fall that all 3 of my children have learning differences. This was very difficult for me to handle. I felt totally overwhelmed at the thought of having to teach 3 children with learning difficulties. 1 child? I could do that. 2 children? Okay, maybe even 2, but 3? My brain just couldn't fathom how I could do that successfully. I became paralyzed at the thought of what my first step might be. I had no idea what to do.

Then I remembered what brought me to homeschooling. I had always entertained the idea of homeschooling my children but I put it under the category of "we'll wait until the time gets closer, maybe I will change my mind." When my oldest was 3 yrs. old, God impressed upon me the importance of homeschooling my children. I knew that there was no other alternative for us. I knew that it was God's Will for us to homeschool. I also knew that if we put the kids in ps we would be disobeying God. I felt this very strongly.

I now know why I felt this so strongly. God knew that my kids would all have learning differences. He also knew that it would be better for them for me to teach them. He knew I could do it. This gives me the encouragement to keep on. If God knows that I can do it, who am I to say no?
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

Everyone has an opinion on why we have been given the children we have.. they see it as some defect,hhmm,, really as if God some how God got it wrong...the Lord knew us before we where formed in our mothers wombs, he knew our unformed parts...God makes NO mistakes........One day the Holy Spirit directed me to this verse

John 9

Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind

1 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
    3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

It is for the Glory of GOD...thru these children the Glory of the Lord shall be shown....I know not everyone see's it yet,not everyone is aware of the blessing that our children are....But God has a purpose for EVERYONE,he makes no mistakes(never forget that)God is about his bussiness with in the lives of our(collective our) children, waiting ,moving..you have NO Idea how God uses us and our children to change the Hearts n Minds of those around us....I am thankful...so very thankful that God gave me the children he did.

I have two dear boys with a long list of complicated issues going on, and one sweet and sunshine-y, healthy little girl. It is very hard and overwhelming, especially because my boys have major behavior issues and the world does not look kindly on that or offer much sympathy or understanding...quite the opposite. Yet God has also taught me so very much through these trials. What encourages me so much is the sun rising every morning. It has become something I purposely look for and notice each day, and remember Lamentations 3:22-23. When I see the light I remember that God is as faithful as the rising sun and he is with us in this day with everything we need. Also, such simple little things encourage me. I think I notice a lot of the small things that I would have taken for granted before. When things are calm and going well, it is a blessing. Simple comforts like a warm cup of coffee and a comfy chair with the morning sun on me I am so thankful for. I am just more aware of the gifts in each day and thankful for them.
    Tiffany, wife of 17 years and mother of ds (15), ds (12), dd (10), and ds (4)
    "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world!" John 16:33