Thread: Apps for Special Needs

Default Apps for Special Needs

If you find an app that is helpful for your child with special needs, please let us know.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 18yo Eli, 16yo Kyle, and 12yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

I have found the following helpful for my son with dysgraphia and dyslexia.

Writing:
    Typ-O HD word prediction typing and spell check app
    Dragon Dictate - speech to text app

Math:
    Pad Math

Reading:
    iBooks
    nook app
    nook for kids app
    Esther wife to Steve, Mom to John Henry-16yrs, Paul-12.5yrs, Sam-11yrs and Lizzy-7yrs
    To teach children, you must love who they are, not what you want them to be. The Trouble With Boys, Peg Tyre

My boys love Math Ninja.

Also, this isn't an app but if you use Sequential Spelling on dvd, the files can be copied to the ipad.
    Donna, wife to Jerid. Mom to Jordan (dd17), Brandon (ds16), Owen (ds13) and Sage (dd7)

This site has demo videos of apps for special needs.
    http://a4cwsn.com/apps/apps-a-z/

Another site:
    http://www.snapps4kids.com/
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 18yo Eli, 16yo Kyle, and 12yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

Wow, Hollie. I feel like I need to send you a big bunch of flowers or something...you just made my life SO MUCH BETTER. Anna's neuropyschologist recommended that we get one of the elapsing timers and create charts for routines. I just found perfect aps for both needs. I love the video demos so I can actually *see* what I'm getting and how it will work for us. Thank you!
    The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it. ~Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Jo in PRC View Post
    Wow, Hollie. I feel like I need to send you a big bunch of flowers or something...you just made my life SO MUCH BETTER. Anna's neuropyschologist recommended that we get one of the elapsing timers and create charts for routines. I just found perfect aps for both needs. I love the video demos so I can actually *see* what I'm getting and how it will work for us. Thank you!
    Your post was better than flowers.

Here are my favorite dyslexia apps. When googling I found that a lot of my searches for help with dyslexia seem to return with simple phonics recognition apps, which are good, but really not designed for the special needs of dyslexic kids. I tested a lot of less than helpful apps, and finally came up with this mish-mash of great auditory memory, visual memory, and phonetic recall apps.

I'd love to learn about more - so please add to my list!
    Learning with A, J, and B

"We need to be the people we want our children to become." ~ Rafe