Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For all the Canadians using FIAR

Default For all the Canadians using FIAR

Do you every change/suppliment the social studies aspect of FIAR to contain more Canadian content? I'm doing some planning for next year, and would like to try to include more Canadian content. I thought maybe we could brainstorm a few ideas. Obviously some books would be more conducive to this than others.

My thoughts so far: (With the disclaimer that I haven't actually read all the books - just going on summaries and what I've picked up from others.)

Very Last First Time is the obvious one since it is set in Canada. Does anyone know which Territory it is set in?

The Bee Tree - Yukon connection. Can include Yukon info and Territorial flag, bird, flower, map, etc.

Arabella - I thought that this would be a great book to do a bit of an introduction or study (depending on age) of the Bluenose. (Famous ship from Nova Scotia - on our dime!) Also perhaps looking at the Maritime provinces.

Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Sunshine C; 11-12-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd8 1/2, ds7, ds5 1/2 and ds4.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine C View Post
    Very Last First Time is the obvious one since it is set in Canada. Does anyone know which Territory it is set in?
    Last time we rowed VLFT, I thought (fuzzy memory working here), that we looked up the Inuit and placed them just near the Hudson Bay. Possibly close to Quebec or Ontario.
    Jennifer
    married 18 years to hubby, with a 15 yo boy and 12 yo boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer in VA View Post
    Last time we rowed VLFT, I thought (fuzzy memory working here), that we looked up the Inuit and placed them just near the Hudson Bay. Possibly close to Quebec or Ontario.
    Thanks Jennifer! Yes, some live there. Some also live in Nunavit, in Labrador (I didn't know this until I looked it up! ) and in the Northwest Territories. It's possible that the book doesn't give an indication as to where it's set, at which point I guess we could just pick one of those places. Or look at all of them.

With Lentil we found out about the history of our small town in Canada. I know we did add things to others too, but I'll hav to look up what. Night of the moon jellies we looked at the maratimes.
    Child of the King, wife to an amazing husband and mom to the fantastic 4. Ellie 2000, Khaya 2002, Kenya 2004, Ethan 2006

I will have to look through my planner to see what we've done specifically.

I have done some rows with non - fiar books that are Canada specific. I can get a list of these books up if your interested.

I know anything with prairies we used MB, SK and AB rather than the US prairie. Lentil we did our home town, the Canadian flag and talked about Canadian patriotism.
    Mom to 3: DS9, DD7 and DS6 and wife to one wonderful man

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine C View Post
    Thanks Jennifer! Yes, some live there. Some also live in Nunavit, in Labrador (I didn't know this until I looked it up! ) and in the Northwest Territories. It's possible that the book doesn't give an indication as to where it's set, at which point I guess we could just pick one of those places. Or look at all of them.
    Ungava Bay
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Joy View Post
    With Lentil we found out about the history of our small town in Canada. I know we did add things to others too, but I'll hav to look up what. Night of the moon jellies we looked at the maratimes.
    I would love to hear a list of what you did if you have time to look it up. Thanks for the other ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Lee View Post
    I will have to look through my planner to see what we've done specifically.

I have done some rows with non - fiar books that are Canada specific. I can get a list of these books up if your interested.

I know anything with prairies we used MB, SK and AB rather than the US prairie. Lentil we did our home town, the Canadian flag and talked about Canadian patriotism.
    I would be interested in your specifics if you have time, and the non-fiar books you used if you can find your list! Good idea to bring in the Canadian flag and patriotism. I was just thinking to skip the flag part, but it's a better idea to use the Canadian flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Rose View Post
    Ungava Bay
    Ah, so it is northern Quebec or Labrador - Thanks Angela Rose!

Since we have Rowers all over the United States and all around the world, we always suggest that after finding out where the story takes place and understanding the basic theme(s)...that each family include information about their own geographic area, history, famous people, etc.

That way, all the students will discover something about areas other than their own, but will also see the connections, similarities, and differences between the story's settings (or history) and that of their own regions.

Learning to distinguish connections, similarities and differences in geographic areas, histories, etc., can be easy when using a children's book as an interesting "base," and this type of analyzing will be a critically important skill for the later high school/college years.
    Jane Claire
    Author of
    Before Five in a Row , Five in a Row
    and Five in a Row Nature Fall, and Winter, Spring and now Summer!

With Lentil, we also added in Remembrence Day and studied that.
    Katy and the Big Snow- made snow ice cream, studied snowflakes and talked about winter in Canada.
    Who Owns the Sun- the underground railroad in Canada

We haven't been rowing long, but I hope we can keep adding ideas on here for Canadians!
    Child of the King, wife to an amazing husband and mom to the fantastic 4. Ellie 2000, Khaya 2002, Kenya 2004, Ethan 2006

For Canadian studies, I do not use fiar.

I like to use Northwood Press {Donna Ward} materials as well as the Canadian unit study from Come Sit By Me Volume 1. {I hope it's okay to mention those other curriculums - if not, please delete post}. I always have a Canada map available, use Professor Noggins Canadian geography game, and Michael Mitchells Canada folksongs.

Hope that helps a wee bit.
    Mom to 4 girls ~ 9, 7, 5, 3