Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For all the Canadians using FIAR

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Joy View Post
    With Lentil, we also added in Remembrence Day and studied that.
    Katy and the Big Snow- made snow ice cream, studied snowflakes and talked about winter in Canada.
    Who Owns the Sun- the underground railroad in Canada

We haven't been rowing long, but I hope we can keep adding ideas on here for Canadians!
    Good ideas! And yes, I would love to keep adding ideas here - we'll have to remember to keep adding as we include something in our own studies.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaH View Post
    For Canadian studies, I do not use fiar.

I like to use Northwood Press {Donna Ward} materials as well as the Canadian unit study from Come Sit By Me Volume 1. I always have a Canada map available, use Professor Noggins Canadian geography game, and Michael Mitchells Canada folksongs.
    Thanks for these resources. I have looked at them briefly. I prefer FIAR to Come Sit By Me, but the others look great - they would even be good for after we're done with FIAR. It's always good to hear about Canadian resources and how good they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Claire View Post
    Since we have Rowers all over the United States and all around the world, we always suggest that after finding out where the story takes place and understanding the basic theme(s)...that each family include information about their own geographic area, history, famous people, etc.

That way, all the students will discover something about areas other than their own, but will also see the connections, similarities, and differences between the story's settings (or history) and that of their own regions.

Learning to distinguish connections, similarities and differences in geographic areas, histories, etc., can be easy when using a children's book as an interesting "base," and this type of analyzing will be a critically important skill for the later high school/college years.
    I agree! That is part of the reason that I started this thread - I find that many heads are better than one and that it will be easier to do these comparisons if we brainstorm some ways to do that.

Which made me think of something else - I think that Paul Revere's Ride would be a great book to learn about the differences between how the US and Canada became countries. I know that public schools here address this topic - compare and contrast the roads to sovereignty that each country took and how that still affects them today. A simple comparison could happen for even younger children.
    Last edited by Sunshine C; 11-12-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Exactly! You have the idea! Glad you began this thread and I hope you are able to make many great connections!
    Jane Claire
    Author of
    Before Five in a Row , Five in a Row
    and Five in a Row Nature Fall, and Winter, Spring and now Summer!

How to make apple pie - we did some stuff about where in Canada apples grow, bought some Canadian apples from the store and did taste testing.

The glorious flight - talked about how we are a British colony

Mirette - talked about his walk across niagra falls

Three names - Canadian prairies

Wild horses of sweet briar - islands in canada

I will try to look into my notes, that I can't find just now, to see what we did conversationally, these are all things from my sons notebook from last year.
    Mom to 3: DS9, DD7 and DS6 and wife to one wonderful man

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Joy View Post
    Who Owns the Sun- the underground railroad in Canada
    Thought I would mention this resource that I found for either Who Owns the Sun or Follow the Drinking Gourd - a map for students to fill in that lists the main settlement areas in Ontario of people who used the Underground railroad. (There were some people who settled on the East or West coast, but most settled in these settlements in Ontario). Hope it helps someone!

And thanks Nancy Lee for checking out your son's notebook - I've recorded these ideas for future use - thanks!!
    Last edited by Sunshine C; 11-12-2015 at 01:55 PM.

What about Katy and the Big Snow? I know it takes place in a made up city of Geopolis but that city could easily be in Canada! When we rowed that one last year we talked quite a bit about Canada compared to where we live, south east US. We even got a dvd from the library about snow and what machines are used to clear snow away and it was filmed in Canada. Just and idea.
    Becky, wife to Mat since 1989.
    Mom to Zoey (9/05) and Sierra (8/08)

I just remembered another one we did. With the Rag Coat, we compared the people of the appalachain mountains to aboriginal or first nations communities in Northern Canada. We talked about housing, he availability of education, ect. We also discussed ways we could help change the situations.
    Child of the King, wife to an amazing husband and mom to the fantastic 4. Ellie 2000, Khaya 2002, Kenya 2004, Ethan 2006

I'm planning for this coming year, and had an idea I wanted to post here, in case others can use it. We're going to row Amber on the Mountain, and use it as a springboard to study the Canadian Rockies. For older children it could be extended to study Alberta or BC or both.

ETA that I found a nice outline map of just western Canada (Alberta and BC) at this link.
    Last edited by Sunshine C; 11-12-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Another year is gone, and I'm planning again for next year. I just found a great connection that goes with The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar. Sable Island is a very small island off the coast of Nova Scotia. It has federally protected Wild Horses on it. This link is a map of Nova Scotia - you'll see Sable Island in the lower right corner. This Wikipedia link gives lots of good information about the horses. This site has some great pictures of them, as well as other pictures of Sable Island. And the best is this story by a woman who lived on Sable Island as a little girl when her father worked there! I plan to read parts of her story - it is quite long. Altogether this is a perfect complement to The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar. I am excited.
    Last edited by Sunshine C; 11-12-2015 at 01:54 PM.

There was a show called "Pit Ponies" based out of Nova Scotia that chronicled the lives of mining village. Think Sable Island was mentioned because that is where they got their ponies from. Know it ran on Netflix for awhile. Not sure if it is back on or not.
    Jennifer
    married 20 years, with a senior and freshman in high school!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer in VA View Post
    There was a show called "Pit Ponies" based out of Nova Scotia that chronicled the lives of mining village. Think Sable Island was mentioned because that is where they got their ponies from. Know it ran on Netflix for awhile. Not sure if it is back on or not.
    Thanks Jennifer! I have heard of it, but haven't watched it - I'll have to look into it.