Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For all the Canadians using FIAR

It has been awhile since I've updated this thread with what we've done, and I wanted to add a few more ideas for others who might find them helpful.

For Gramma's Walk we took a printable map of Canada and coloured all the shoreline blue, representing beaches. We talked about the variety of shoreline found in Canada (sand, pebbles, rock cliffs, ice, etc.)

When we rowed Night of the Moonjellies, we learned about the Maritime Provinces rather than about New England. We coloured and labelled them on a map of Canada, and I believe I pointed out how close they were to New England.

Warm as Wool was a great starting point for a bunny trail on Canadian Western Pioneers. I found much information about Oregon and California, but had to dig a bit to find good resources about Canadian pioneers. Discovering Canadian Pioneers was a great one, as was the original (Canadian!) version of Barbara Greenwood's book, A Pioneer Story. I have found this Canadian Flyer book since - I haven't read it but like others that I have read in the series.

When we read Henry the Castaway we read about various Canadian Explorers. We chose one and placed the Story Disk on an area they explored. (I believe we chose Henry Hudson and put it on Hudson Bay).

Three Names - We learned about the Prairie Provinces, choosing one to put our story disk on. We coloured and labelled them on a map of Canada. We read some library books about them.

When we rowed All Those Secrets of the World, I used the lesson on Chesapeake Bay to talk about what bays are, and we labelled a number of Canadian bays on a map of Canada including Hudson Bay, James Bay, Ungava Bay (good review), the Bay of Fundy and Baffin Bay.

When we rowed Mrs. Katz and Tush we talked about immigration in Canada, and in particular about Pier 21. We also watched this video and this video.

When we rowed Climbing Kansas Mountains, when we did the lesson on the symbols of Kansas, we took a look at provincial symbols and even some Canadian symbols. We also did the salt map lesson with a map of Canada.

We have yet to row it, but when we row The Hatmaker's Sign at the end of this year, I plan to compare and contrast the American colonies and the Canadian colonies, as well as their decolonization. There is some information I have found to help with that here.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

We did most books from Volume 4 this year, and here is the Canadian content that we added (or substituted - most of these were directly related to American lessons in the manual).

Here is what we did for Volume 4:

The Hatmaker's Sign
    We compared and contrasted the decolonization of those colonies that became American, and those that eventually became part of Canada. Basic information found here.

The Raft
    We focused on the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence Seaway. We labeled the Great Lakes on a map of Canada and watched various videos – a great intro to great lakes and St. Lawrence seaway, one talking about the construction and completed seaway benefits and one that was timelapse of boats going through canal lockes.

Mailing May

We learned about the history of the Canadian Pacific Railway. There are some information downloads here and here.

We watched the first couple of minutes of this video and this narrated slide show.

We also learned about the history of the postal service in Canada, with information here and online games here.

Cowboy Charlie
    We talked about Canadian First Nations peoples and look at this interactive map of their locations.

We talked about the settling of the Canadian west - “the last best west”, and how it was similar to and different from how the American west was settled. Here is some information that was useful:

Very brief overview of settling the Canadian west videos here and here:

Some good basic info about settling the Canadian west is here and great basic info on “Last Best West”, western settlement by time period and emigration location here

We also talked about the order of provinces to join Confederation and reasons why each wished to join. There is some really great information on that here.

We talked about Canadian National Parks and their history. We used information from here , and videos from here and here. Here is a list of National Parks by province.

If we do more books from Volume 4 with Canadian content I'll add them here.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.