Thread: Horse therapy?

Smile Horse therapy?

Has any of you used horseback riding lessons as part of therapy? We could arrange lessons for ds. He has been to horse camp in the summer and enjoys it.
    Wife to Music Man for 24 years; Mom to two miracles, dd, 17 and ds, 15
    "The LORD will fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." Exodus 14:14 KJV

When I was in college, I volunteered for a "horseback riding for the handicapped" program. I loved it! We helped children from the school for the blind.

The benefits of this type of program are wonderful.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (4th gr).

Mary, are you considering riding lessons or riding therapy?

It's amazing what riding a horse can do for the body, and the mind that lives in the body.

My dear friend's little daughter has riding therapy, which is so much more than just learning to ride.

Learning to ride and being on horseback regularly certainly couldn't hurt, imho, but if you could find a riding therapy center that would be wonderful.
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 19yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

The horse lessons are in our neighborhood. It's not therapy, per se. Just regular horseback riding lessons, horse care, and so on, that maybe ds would like to have as his own activity, KWIM? Dd takes ballet. I just remember the doctor saying he should have something of his own---perhaps a pet of his own. We have a family dog and cat. I know horses are generally wonderful, intelligent animals that seem to see inside one's soul.

Go for it; it sounds like a great opportunity.
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 19yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

My ADHD (and other) son is very soothed by interaction with animals. Unfortunately he also has severe allergies to anything with fur. He has a bunny at grandma's hosue that he can sit near and guide with his hands as it hops, just not hold. We take the allergy risk because it is so special for him to have that little "friend."

I agree, having a pet or interaction of some sort is beneficial. I would consider the riding lessons if he is able to do so without acting impulsively or angrily in a way that would startle the animal. (Not sure where your DS is on that spectrum.)
    Last edited by TonyaP; 04-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Blessed to be Home With The Kids
    Logan (14), Hannah (11), Aaron (9), (Little One Eternally Home 2007), (Liam 5)

I just sent in the paperwork yesterday for my ds 6 to start therapeutic riding lessons. I am hoping this will be "his" thing as well, and will be a calming thing for him (he has a lot of anxiety) as well as build his confidence.
    Tiffany, wife of 17 years and mother of ds (15), ds (12), dd (10), and ds (4)
    "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world!" John 16:33

there are several therapeutic horse places around here. I have never taken my kids to any .. but my friend owns horses and will ride with my 4yo son every now and then (he has ds and autism) and he is extremely calm when on a horse, it's just like magic! My son is normally very, very active and doesn't sit for more than a minute at a time!!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Blessed to be a homeschooling Mom!
    dd 22 and dgs 1, dd 19, ds 17, dd 14, dd 9, ds 7, ds 6, ds 3

I'm bringing back this old thread to see if anyone else has participated in a program since my first post. Can you believe it's been two years???

And now it's four years later...any new experiences w equine assisted related therapies?