Thread: Easy Grammar/ Daily Grams

Default Easy Grammar/ Daily Grams

I am wanting to start a bit more structured grammar program for my 4th grader. I am looking at Easy Grammar and Daily Grams. What are the differences between these two? I looks like the Daily Grams review the skills on each page they are working on. What should I start with?

ETA - Do I need the student workbook for Easy Grammar or just the Teacher's Manual?
    Last edited by Jay; 05-29-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Easy Grammer teaches Grammer more where as Daily Grams is more like a review. I have heard that for Daily Grams you choose one grade level lower than the child is at so that they know the information and it is just a review that keeps what they know fresh.

You don't have to have the SM you can just have the TM. The way that the Easy Grammer TM is set up is the students page is on one side and the answers are right across from it. So if you just have the TM then you have to make copies or cover up the answers.

Hope all of that made sense and helped.
    Married to DH for 24 yrs. DS~21 yrs., DS~16 yrs., DS~8 yrs., DS~6 yrs., and one DC at home with our Lord.
    Words for 2011: Meek and Quiet Word for 2012: Moldable and Be Still

We've used both. Easy Grammar is a full grammar program that teaches grammar systematically beginning with prepositions. Daily Grams is a daily 1-page grammar warm-up/review that covers capitalization, punctuation, parts of speech, and sentence combining. I wouldn't use it with Daily Grams at the same time; that's a lot of workbook pages to complete each day! I used Easy Grammar for 3rd grade with my oldest dd and plan to do the same with my middle dd. After that full year, we moved to Daily Grams for 4th grade. I've read that many people alternate years of Easy Grammar and Daily Grams. My dd started a writing program in 4th grade, which is why I didn't want a full-time grammar program as well.

BTW, I do not recommend the student workbook with the answers. I don't remember the pages being perforated (but I could be wrong). Photocopying the pages is quite a pain. I didn't need the TM, so we used the student book with a separate test book. That was much easier!
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

I've used both for many years. I do DG every day and several pages of EG about 3x per week. We like it very much, especially Daily Grams.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

I am so thankful for the search function on this forum. Today at a homeschool store I found Easy Grammar: Daily Guided Teaching and Review for Grade 2 and almost bought it. We are just 18 days into first grade, so I resisted and decided I have plenty of time to decide on this for second grade. I'm glad to read you all like it. If you have used this, do you also teach phonics for second grade? This year we are using LIFEPACs so it's all in one but we are not going to stay with this next year (I think!) I'm a planner and have already started thinking about next year's choices. Also, my daughter is a high reader, but she needs some phonics help still with some vowel teams and such she hasn't learned yet, but again, we're at the beginning of 1st grade. Thanks!

We taughed phonics in K-2, grammar wasn't started until 3rd & those two years {aside from the FIAR manual} we used the books The Word Spy & Return Of The Word Spy. After that we moved into a formal programme putting my eldest in 5th at that time. TWS & TROTWS would use the words Snoop vs Spy if you're interested & live in the USA. My kids loved those books so much, & they are fun to read aloud! We just read a few pages each day nothing major or super formal. They ended up getting a coded letter from their Beloved Word Spy & inducted into the Word Spy Club. Ahh, great memories there.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Elizabeth, we used Explode the Code for phonics/reading reinforcement until the girls were confident, independent readers. If that happens earlier, it's still OK to wait until 3rd to start grammar.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....