Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: FIAR No Lapbooking, only manual aka how to walk away from pretty blogs?

Such a great thread and a great reminder as we head into this new season of FIAR for us (rowing favorites from volumes 1-3 again before heading into volume 4). We did it using only the manual and conversation the first time around. Letting any extra come from my son (and he came up with some excellent projects I'd never even thought or heard of!). It was a great time for us both. I think we will do the same things this go around. Though at age 8 I imagine he'll be digging much deeper on his own accord with many topics. And still have amazing, fun projects to work up from his own imagination

Anyway, enjoy this year with your son and FIAR

Default Thank you again!

I am so happy to read this thread. I was doubting myself as a teacher and doubting I was going to be able to do this. (last week was our first week of "homeschool" ever. We did some BFIAR over the summer, but there wasn't the pressure.) Then I just resolved that I don't have to be like other homeschool parents and our school should meet our daughter's needs and we can teach her according to the manual and other ideas we get to enhance her education. I LOVED reading your thoughts today, especially about ~ quit looking at blogs...even those that show teaching by the manual. It just heightens my expectation of myself and pressure and frustration. I know there are lots of people who can look at blogs and be successful...not so sure I can I do enjoy seeing some ideas sometimes....I can just stop when I am feeling overwhelmed. It's all about moderation.

I love having this forum to consult for feedback and support. Thank you so much to everyone!
    Last edited by Tonja E; 09-08-2012 at 11:14 AM.

I know this is an old post, but this thread has been so wonderful for me to read. I have been adding in stuff from homeschool share these past few weeks. I have enjoyed doing the lapbooks with my daughter and she seems to like them, too. I like them for the visual she has to "show" to her grandparents and anyone else who asks what she's been learning. However, this has led to rowing books for 2 weeks (8 days with 2 Fun Fridays) instead of 1 week, which has been fine with my daughter. She hasn't complained. It creates more planning on me, which I actually enjoy. However, after I finish up these next two FIAR books which I've planned out already with lap books, I think we will just try using only our manual and just 5 days per book and see how it goes. I appreciate all of these replies and posts. It helps me figure out how I want our homeschool to be. I have some great takeaways from this thread. Thanks ladies!

Our best years were the simple ones. So often is seemed like the things that I added just didn't add much to their FIAR experience.

Elizabeth, one of my boys really enjoyed lapbooks. They were a lot of work for me. One product that came out during his last year of Vol 1-3 was the fold n learns. If you don't have them, check out the FIAR Blog and subscribe to it. There will be a link (check your spam if it doesn't show up) for free ones. This is not to turn you right back around to lapbooks. It is just giving you a resource that you can save for future reference if you want to use them. Many items work as a notebook page and they coordinate directly to the lessons.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 19yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

Thank you Hollie! Today we didn't have time to do the France geography I had planned for her lapbook and after reading this, I was like, meh- no big deal. We did find it on a map and identify it, so she got the concept. I will definitely check out the fold n learns. It sounds like a great resource for this newbie homeschooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollie in SC View Post
    Our best years were the simple ones. So often is seemed like the things that I added just didn't add much to their FIAR experience.

Elizabeth, one of my boys really enjoyed lapbooks. They were a lot of work for me. One product that came out during his last year of Vol 1-3 was the fold n learns. If you don't have them, check out the FIAR Blog and subscribe to it. There will be a link (check your spam if it doesn't show up) for free ones. This is not to turn you right back around to lapbooks. It is just giving you a resource that you can save for future reference if you want to use them. Many items work as a notebook page and they coordinate directly to the lessons.
    Oh goodness Hollie! I am looking at the Fold & Learns right now and they are great! Thanks for that tip. I had no idea.