Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FIAR No Lapbooking, only manual aka how to walk away from pretty blogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa C View Post
    Might I gently say that if you're not doing the manuals, you're not even doing FIAR? Only in the manuals will you find the richness of Five in a Row. On blogs you may find fluffy icing, but if you missed the cake, there has been no substance! In the manuals are where you'll find the literature and art techniques used in the books, and that's the stuff not written about on blogs much. You won't find lessons on perseverance or generations sharing stories written about. Because there's not much to "do" with these, it's hard to blog about them and make them look fun, but they are the meat of Five in a Row and what separates it from other curricula! Open your manual, check off the lessons you want to do for the week, and then do them!

I completely understand. and I agree. it's just hard for me to stay on task. I think the manuals plant so many great seeds- it's hard for me not to go down the "rabbit trails." I need to remember "less is best" to create a loving learning home environment.

Thanks again ladies for such wise advice!!! I'm feeling strong in my decision & can't wait to share how it is going (once fall starts)
    Last edited by Tracy-chi; 07-07-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Tracy
    Rowing with my DS (4) , 2nd grade DD in private school
    Getting excited for our second FIAR summer :)

So first a disclaimer - I'm not a homeschooler. But my girl is very active and also loves to read. FIAR is a great way for me to a) find great books and b) get into some things with her that I wouldn't have thought of. Perhaps for this reason I don't put pressure on myself on this front...

What occurs to me is that I like to read blogs and do projects because *I* don't want to get bored. I mean, I want to do FIAR sometimes the way I, a fully grown adult, can do it - far, far, beyond the capacity of my little one and in a way that doesn't capture her interest *at all*. The best solution to this for me is to allow myself to be more creative and playful, but on my own. Heck, if I want to build a clay map of the world and track Captain Cook's journeys, I should just go for it, and not make her do it!

I posted a long time ago on a thread called "My failure this week with Madeline" and the wise words of the board members then have stayed with me. Now I'm just happy we read the books. My girl most likes the science lessons, sometimes likes the art lessons, somehow has language arts embedded into her brain so that there's hardly any point, is just getting the hang of counting and math and I think will come to really like it soon, and couldn't care less about maps and geography as yet, although she does want to travel to every place we discuss. She is very excited to know what is real and not real in books, so that's always an important part. We are a bilingual family so I often get her to translate bits of things. In many ways she's too young for FIAR at 4 1/2; but then in some ways the books are perfect for her. I suppose the point of saying all this is that things radically improved for me when I began to focus on her and not on my pretty plan, which is something that *I* wanted.

Elizabeth
    Mum to Charlotte (born 29 Nov 2007) and Johnny (born 25 November 2012)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth in London View Post
    So first a disclaimer - I'm not a homeschooler. But my girl is very active and also loves to read. FIAR is a great way for me to a) find great books and b) get into some things with her that I wouldn't have thought of. Perhaps for this reason I don't put pressure on myself on this front...

What occurs to me is that I like to read blogs and do projects because *I* don't want to get bored. I mean, I want to do FIAR sometimes the way I, a fully grown adult, can do it - far, far, beyond the capacity of my little one and in a way that doesn't capture her interest *at all*. The best solution to this for me is to allow myself to be more creative and playful, but on my own. Heck, if I want to build a clay map of the world and track Captain Cook's journeys, I should just go for it, and not make her do it!

I posted a long time ago on a thread called "My failure this week with Madeline" and the wise words of the board members then have stayed with me. Now I'm just happy we read the books. My girl most likes the science lessons, sometimes likes the art lessons, somehow has language arts embedded into her brain so that there's hardly any point, is just getting the hang of counting and math and I think will come to really like it soon, and couldn't care less about maps and geography as yet, although she does want to travel to every place we discuss. She is very excited to know what is real and not real in books, so that's always an important part. We are a bilingual family so I often get her to translate bits of things. In many ways she's too young for FIAR at 4 1/2; but then in some ways the books are perfect for her. I suppose the point of saying all this is that things radically improved for me when I began to focus on her and not on my pretty plan, which is something that *I* wanted.

Elizabeth
    This is great, and such wise words (from everyone)!! Thanks for reminding us the focus is on our kids and not on the curriculum or lessons.
    Love in Christ, Heather (WI) ~enjoying FIAR products since 1999~

Having done lapbooks and notebooks with my first two rowers, and looking forward to my newest rower this fall, I'm planning differently! Actually, I'm not planning ahead much!

My five-year-old and I rowed "Ferdinand" this spring, and it was really so fun. I didn't print a single thing from the computer, not even a map or flag. We did open a few "visit Spain" websites just to see some photos of local food, monuments, landscapes,etc. Then, together we drew the flag, the yummy foods, even the map. On the same paper, he copied the words "Ferdinand" and "Spain" in his own beginner's handwriting. And that was one day of rowing. We did the other activities as listed in the manual.

Easy! Fun!

I've added in all the extras and I've just followed the manual. One thing that helped me was not to lesson plan. Just look at the day's lesson a few minutes before school. Then you have no possible way to scour the internet looking for tons of go-alongs. If you happen to see a lesson that requires planning ahead, you could save it for later in the week.

My goal this year is to stick with the manuals. There is no way I can get all the extras in, plus 3Rs, plus my older DC's lessons. I am planning ahead, but sticking with the manuals. I've been planning my lessons out far away from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post

It's also why a LOT of loose leaf paper gets used in my house and not many printables.
    You're my kinda girll Heather!
    Gail, blessed wife to 1, momma to 9, nana to 1 and clinging to the vine ~*~John15:4-9~

the world is our classroom, the classroom is not our world.

Thanks for this thread!
    I am one that likes to add and my dd likes that I add too! However, life has changed for us and I have had to simplify. Because I thought I had to keep adding to FIAR it was not working for our current situation, so I bought another curriculum. We are doing fine with it, but also miss those FIAR days! Because of this thread I think we will be able to make FIAR work again by simply not adding to it. So we will be back to our heart-throb curriculum at least off and on. <3
    Love rowing with my little rower, Hannah Grace.

Hiya Ladies!
    I wanted to give a little update. This thread has been on my mind DAILY!
    so here's what i have done:
    I think knowing that I will be stepping back into the early childhood field in the next couple of years- as encouraged me to "hang out" with/at my favorite teacher resources. But i'm not a school room teacher right now & all the wonderful ideas have overwhelmed me. AND i have to treasure the time that i have to NOT be a school room teacher. My son is not the same as working with 20 preschoolers.ETA: what I mean is my son, unlike my preschool clients isn't looking towards me for innovation, creativity, or resourcefulness. My son is looking towards me for: nurturing, support, compassion & most important presence. My son needs my presence more than he needs fancy lesson plans. What a weight that has been lifting!

IDK why it took me so long to realize all this...so i have parted ways with my "favorite teacher things"
    I stopped the emails from The Mailbox, Teachers Notebook & Teachers pay Teachers. (all of which are great sites, but unnecessary for my (almost) 5 year old) I also "unliked" teaching blog addict via FB. & i have stopped chatting on Teach Preschool's FB page. I have stopped visiting Pinterest aka drooling over the great ideas popping up everywhere!

We are also summer schoolers. Our first row of the summer (we did olympics & treasure hunts-non fiar) Harold & the purple crayon. I used the manuel for 100% of the time. I did sneak a peek into the FIAR archives. but no Homeschol share or pinterest/blog searching. We had such a fabulous time rowing Harold.
    especially our discussion on altitude & perspective (we went to a bike underpass (that goes under a busy street) & sketched what we saw & then went to the top of the sled hill & sketched. We made a harold like story outside on the sidewalk & had a great discussion about setting.

Heading into next year, I have already decided to ONLY row books I own! I have started browsing the shelves of our local Half Priced Books. I have picked up 9 books total. I have all 3 manuels so that's not a problem, just need the books.

Anyways thanks for all the ideas! Your support has meant the world to me <3
    Last edited by Tracy-chi; 08-03-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Tracy
    Rowing with my DS (4) , 2nd grade DD in private school
    Getting excited for our second FIAR summer :)

Cool Tracy! This thread has really helped me to put my focus back where it needs to be. Also to help me from getting stuck by too many great ideas. I barely have any time for planning anyway so less is better for me anyway.
    Christi
    Wife to Bryan, mama to Wheatley(18) attending Walsh University, Veronica(13)with down syndrome, Ephraim(8), and Loretta(5)

Tracy, I love the way you did the altitude and perspective lesson! So cool! You would think out here in the country we would have some place to do that, but alas we are surrounded by trees. Hehe! We can gain altitude, but no real perspective. Not that I am complaining as we have many other opportunities. We just did Harold last week and did only the manual except for drawing cards with words for us to draw pictures. Because it was 99% manual only, it was very stress free. Purple is my dd's fav color. On our way to the doc to get her a heart monitor put on we stopped at Toy's R Us for her to spend some of her b-day money. Guess what she got...... a GIANT purple crayon bank! Can I just say Harold was a success!
    Love rowing with my little rower, Hannah Grace.